Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Running high compression on two stroke

I have been thinking of getting a phathead and playing around with high compression on my yz250. How much benefit do I get out of high compression on a 2stroke? I will be running trick 110 it is 4$ a gallon here.

Thanks
    I put the VHM head with their motocross dome on my bike, granted it is a completely different engine and bike, but all I can say is that I didn't like it. I guess it depends on what kind of riding you want to do, but it made my bike run very flat up top. The little bit of increase in the bottom was not worth how much I lost up top. The phatheads may be different, I don't know.

Thanks
    High comp heads do tend to run flat on top end.

Thanks
    I have also had unsatisfactory experiences with cutting the head for too much compression, it does give a little bit more lowend but it really kills the overrev and makes the bike more susceptible to pinging due to poor fuel quality.

Dragmeistr, I don't know about how your stock CR head is setup, but on my YZ the VHM had a much much wider squishband than the stock head, with a little less overall volume. Squish was set at 1.5mm.
    Maybe you can clarify this for me Marcus, what is the advantage of going to such a wide squishband? Why does VHM do it?

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

2006 YZ250, 2002 YZ250, KX310

Tapped out you can't lose.

Estou de volta!
    I'm Back!

Thanks
    Higher compression usually brings more power but other things have to be takin into consideration like ignition timing, fuel, and mostly reliabilty. Cylinder temps will change as well. I dont think the power will outweigh the headaches. Paying for race gas sucks as well at $5 a gallon.

Thanks
    I pay more than that for pump fuel...

Thanks
    Dragmeistr, I don't know about how your stock CR head is setup, but on my YZ the VHM had a much much wider squishband than the stock head, with a little less overall volume. Squish was set at 1.5mm.
    I had Eric Gorr redo the dome in my head when he did my cylinder. I am assuming this head will cool better than the stock head is the reason for me using it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Studboy
    I have also had unsatisfactory experiences with cutting the head for too much compression, it does give a little bit more lowend but it really kills the overrev and makes the bike more susceptible to pinging due to poor fuel quality.

Maybe you can clarify this for me Marcus, what is the advantage of going to such a wide squishband? Why does VHM do it?
    A wide squishband tends to give more bottom end but trades for top end,the best head designs are the ktm ones, they are top hat shaped, all the volume is very close to the plug-even though the rm is a copy of the ktm engine its still not as strong, 2 reasons, one the inlet isnt as straight and two-head designs.

Th enew YZ125 is as powerfull as a 03 ktm 125 mainly due to the straighter inlet/exhaust tracts.

Thanks
    Marcus do you think the CR's can benefit from a different shape head?? I remember looking at a KTM and the head looked very different from my CR.

Erik
    Last edited by bedell99; 09-16-2004 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks
    I think one of the reasons, and there are many the cr250 has weak bottom. Is too large a reed cage, low primary compression, and the cylinder port ducts are too large.

Shall I continue??? Poor PV design, the wrong carby and poor jetting, improper ign. mapping, and a real heavy crankshaft.

The spark plug is dialed in though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information