Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Yamaha RT 180, good?

Hey guys, I've got a chance to pick up a 93' Yamaha RT 180, 6-speed, 2-stroke with minimal hours on it for about 700 bucks.

Is this a good deal? I have 2 Yamaha quads, love the way they run and would like to keep it all Yammy's in the garage... I've also had tons of experience with 2-strokes through mopeds and small motorcycles.

I am just unfamiliar with the model. I know they made it from 90'-98' basically unchanged, so I figured it must've been a pretty strong bike...

This will be my first "dirt-bike" for mild trials and small hills...

Also, has anyone ever put a light on a non-light dirt-bike? Would I need to install a seperate coil in the ignition, or can I splice off of an existing coil?

Thanks so much.

DannyMoto

Thanks
    I had one for my first dirt bike. I had three and four wheelers. I found that after about 2 days, I was already past what it had to offer. However, I mainly rode open land and small jumps. Pasture basically. It is a sweet bike for small trails and hills. The 2 stroke is actually an oil injection system.
    I'm not sure what the market is for them where you're at. However I had a 97 or 98 that was absolutely mint and bought/sold it for $850. I did have the bike all summer and rode it nearly every day, and nothing ever broke, very reliable.

In sum: They are good bikes for easy trail riding. If you're an experienced rider, you'll probably grow out of it quickly. If you want to jump, go ahead and pass it up.

Oh i'm 5'8 and 175lbs and it was fun to run around on. Just didn't fit what I wanted to do.

Thanks
    Yeah, this is going to be mainly a starter trail-rider. I'm positive that I'll get used to it and outgrow it... but I'd rather spend 700 and get some good fundamentals down on a used bike rather than unload a grand or more on a newer one and really mess it/myself up.

I'm used to road riding on 400+lb bikes, trail riding on level-riding quads.. so this'll be fun

Just as long as the 180cc's can haul my butt around the trials I'll be just peachy.

Thanks for the info!

Dan

Thanks
    it's good for what it is, and since it's basically a rehashed DT175, you might even be able to dig up the parts to turn it into a street legal machine.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

I will fight a bear.

Thanks
    Basically all I would need is a DT175 stator plate, flywheel, and all the coils... along with all the switches and lights... right?

Dan

Thanks
    Very heavy, fairly underpowered bike with mediocre suspension. I wouldnt consider the rt180 for anything more aggressive than fire roads. A used XR, or ttr could be found for similar cash with much more potential.

Thanks
    Do the XR and TTR's come under 250cc?

I'd really like something 125-200cc, 2 or 4 stroked won't matter... Just something reliable, versitile and fun.

Dan

Thanks
    Just wondering, is the RT 180 the same as the DT 180 sold in Europe? (I did a youtube search for some videos and all I found were DT180's) they look exactly the same, so I figured they must be. Only difference is the rear fender, and some have lights on them.

Compared to what kinds of things these guys are doing with their RT/DT's... I'm gonna just snag this one. I'll see if I can't talk the guy down to 625 or something close to that. I don't really want to pay the full 700. Plus, he said it has a small dent in the front rim...

Oh... and did I mention that it's white, pink and purple???? When I get it home I think I'll have to do a full dissasembly and hit it with some rattle-can black and blue to Yammi the thing up a bit.

Here's a pic...

Dan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyMoto07
    Just wondering, is the RT 180 the same as the DT 180 sold in Europe?
    pretty much.

Thanks
    DannyMoto07, the best way for that bike to gain power is, power reeds, porting, throw the airbox lid away, and rejet. Then you will have some power to play with.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information