Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: rear brake

Thanks
    SR5,

Sorry for being so touchy (just like my brake). I won't be dealing with this issue until spring. I'm going to change the fluid and inspect the pads and figure out what is up. I hate going down slippery hills with barely any rear brake control. My biggest question was whether or not this is common to KDX rear brakes. Sounds like an isolated problem, so now I'm pretty sure it will be easy to fix.

Thanks all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by longtime coming
    I find that my '05 kdx 220's rear brake is basically an on/off switch. I'm tired of it. I'm guessing different pads could cure this. Or? Does anyone find the same and how did you fix it. The front brake is fine.
    So, I picked up an 03 KDX recently and I have the same issue. The rear brake goes from off to locked and nothing in between. Did you ever find a fix or just live with it?

Thanks
    Change to Braided SS Brake Lines. Use a good DOT4 Fluid. Sintered Pads. & Adjust your pedal height...

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

B-Senior# 254/0092
    http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Member...W/Default.aspx
    Special Thanks to Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by longtime coming
    SR5,
    My biggest question was whether or not this is common to KDX rear brakes. Sounds like an isolated problem, so now I'm pretty sure it will be easy to fix.
    No it's not an isolated problem.
    See Touchy Rear Brake
    Last edited by Joburble; 02-11-2013 at 06:19 AM.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

"Shoot first, ask questions later."
    Go to my KDX200 resource page by clicking here.

Thanks
    I have a KLX250 which from new had a very touchy rear brake, same as you describe your KDX. I put a stainless steel braided brake line on and found it made a slight improvement, perhaps changing to a better brake fluid, try different pads and as a last resort (because of price) change the brake line.
    Just as a point of interest the front s/s brake line made a BIG difference to the braking power on the front disk and was well worth the price.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

99 KDX 200
    Coffs Harbour
    NSW
    Australia

Thanks
    Brake Fix Attempt #1
    I bled the rear brake and put some nice new Motul DOT 4 fluid in it, and I asked my local dealer for the absolute worst set of pads possible and judging by the price they supplied exactly that. I haven't ridden the bike yet to bed them in so I will let you all know how it goes when I have. If it doesn't work I still have a few tricks up my sleeve to try.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joburble
    No it's not an isolated problem.
    See Touchy Rear Brake The only way I could use it effectively was to have the gas on fighting the rear brake and that gave it some feel. Had to do that a couple of times, yes it's a brutal thing to do, but I did need to stop.
    Did you ever concider riding in a lower gear and feathering the clutch for breaking?
    I don't experience these breaking problems unless my boots are new but then again I don't use the rear break as much as engine breaking

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ridejunky
    Did you ever concider riding in a lower gear and feathering the clutch for breaking?
    I don't experience these breaking problems unless my boots are new but then again I don't use the rear break as much as engine breaking
    Hi ridejunky, no I hadn't considered that because that would effectively be using my clutch as the brake and that would ultimately end up expensive, especially when my brakes are supposed to be doing the job. I think the problem is the OEM Nissin brake pads on the H model 200 / 220's but not everyone has the problem. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the disk nor with the hydraulics so that really only leaves the pads, so that's where I am starting. It's not pilot error either as I swaped bikes with a friend who also has a 200 and he couldn't believe how bad the problem was. While I rode his 200 I had no problem at all. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks
    A thought just occured to me on this issue; you aren't getting chain lube on the rotor are your??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpack
    A thought just occured to me on this issue; you aren't getting chain lube on the rotor are your??
    good thought- once its on there it wont go away on its own

before i did anything i would get some brakleen and a scotch bright pad and go from there, maybe even scuff up the pads with some medium grit too

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

if you're gonna do something you'll regret in the morning its always best to sleep in

if my ex-girlfriend was half as dirty as this president there wouldn't be an ex in her name

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information