Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

USD fork conversion ..

Looking at possibly changing my 1991 KDX-200 with conventional forks over to a set of USD forks from a 1993.

What issues (if any) will I likely encounter with the front wheel/axle/brake caliper mount/etc working out without having problems with the conversion or will it involve major issues with compatability between the two different forks??

THANKS for any advice!

Thanks

Thanks
    Hmm, I just bought a '90 and I'm interested in knowing the answer to this as well

Thanks
    most people have said that the 93 usd forks are no better than the rsu forks and have gone with the kx conversion that involves the whole front off a kx 125/250.

If you have the clicker adjustment at the bottom of your forks you may want to do the shim stack mod (-2 shims) search it in the forums.

I am going to try this out in the near future

Thanks
    The 1993 - 1994 KDX200 or a little better 1991 - 1994 KDX250 forks are better than the 1989 - 1992 forks due to the damper rod vs. cartridge technology, besides the characteristics of the USD forks and reduced underhang.

The "shim stack mod" is for 1995+ usually. The forks he has are damper rod style. I wouldn't try it on the USD forks due to how few shims are in it.

Thanks
    Swapping out the complete front end proved significantly easier in my conversion (XR250 with KX125 fork). Something to keep in mind is the steering stop situation. Some bikes have ears on the sides of the frame head, some have a tab on the back / bottom of the stem, etc... Then you also need to make sure your frame & the new stem are compatible or come up with a stem / triple clamp / bearing solution that solves it. Make sure you understand how what you have and what you want might conflict and work it out before you go to a lot of work & expense. Besides just being easier to do you then don't have a mix of front end parts to deal with when you need replacement parts.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

"I ride, therefore I crash." - Patman ~~~~ "Do or do not, there is no try!" - Yoda

Thanks
    wheel, axle, and caliper are different on the 93-94. Additionally, those forks are only slightly better. Pretty much on par with the 95+ conventionals. Hardly worth the trouble of sourcing a new wheel/caliper.

Thanks

thanks......

good advice from all.............I think I'll just leave the old girl like she is after all........

"If it ain't broke,don't fix it"

Thanks
    in the parts unlimited catologe there are race tech catridge emulators availible for your model though

Thanks
    How good do those emulators work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information