Close

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks

My toy progress thread - Rich

I'm guessing my project will progress more slowly than the rest.

First steps include mocking up a crossover exhaust system with cardboard templates and flex tubing that terminates on the front passengers side of the engine compartment. I'll end up with a pair of 2.5" tubes that will merge into a T4 turbo flange.

Once I have a basic mock up I have to buy a bunch of 16 gauge stainless bends ($$$) and then fashion them into something that resembles my model.

Before all that I needed a way to properly cut 16g stainless so I bought a Milwaukee Porta-Bandsaw. Great tool but using it in the conventional way it's not the best way to make accurate 90 degree from the centerline axis cuts on a u-shaped hunk of tubing. So I made up a little stainless steel table setup for the porta-band and stood it on end and used it like a proper standup bandsaw. I tested it holding the whole thing in a vice, and proved the concept (worked great) so now I can finish up making the legs for the table-top so it can stand on it's own.

I also have to learn how to properly cut and and make perfect fit ups with the tubing, back purge the tubing and weld the stainless steel and in general learn a lot about welding tubing which so far is proving to be a lot tougher than it looks. No wonder union pipe fitters make so much.

I hope to be ordering the turbo, the wastegate and the blow off valve in the next couple of weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SD_PH1_174_drn.jpg 
Views:	1389 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	17537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SD_PH1_201_drn.jpg 
Views:	1366 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	17538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SD_PH1_178_drn.jpg 
Views:	1360 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	17541  

Last edited by Rich Rohrich; 04-26-2010 at 09:27 PM.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."

- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)

Thanks
    A few more pics from the last week or so.

About $230 worth of stainless tubing and an early attempt at fusion welding a good solid pipe fit up.

Terry if you are playing along at home can you tell me if that weld looks like it has too much undercut for use in an exhaust system? I'd like to fusion weld the joints as much as possible but I'm unfamiliar with exactly how much undercut is permissible in the weld on a stainless tube. It's 304L .065" wall tubing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SD_PH1_206_drn.jpg 
Views:	1364 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	17539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SD_PH1_199_drn.jpg 
Views:	1367 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	17540  

Thanks
    I'm not Terry, but I don't think your underbite will have much effect on your exhaust, unless you don't properly chew your nuts.

Thanks
    So Rich why would you not want to have a raised bead? Or is that pic from the inside?

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

"I ride, therefore I crash." - Patman ~~~~ "Do or do not, there is no try!" - Yoda

Thanks
    I'll make a note of that HLG.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by High Lord Gomer
    I'm not Terry, .
    And don't you ever forget it either Bubba.

Rich.

Look at the inside of the pipe. Too much undercut will give you slag or 'dingleballs' on the inside. ( I said dingleballs, now Gomer is really excited.)

The secret to welding SS tubing or any tubing is in the fit-up. Taking the time to make sure there are no gaps in the area to be welded is crucial to a clean weld. I use a belt sander to finish the cut-off surfaces to make sure both surfaces fit tight together without gaps. Making a jig to press the two surfaces 'tightly' together will also help.

Keep your temp low. It doesn't take much heat to fusion weld SS. Also, use small diameter rod anywhere you have to add rod. That helps to keep the heat low.

Your weld looks good from here.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

" We had better become the home of the brave again or we will no longer be the land of the free."

Thanks
    Thanks Terry. I've been cutting up the same couple of tubes over and over and then welding them back together. The couple of times I tacked with pressure on the tubes to hold them tight seemed to help. I have a couple of ideas for clamping jigs, but I may just break down and buy a set of these clamps.

http://www.vansantent.com/welding_ac...ice_clamps.htm

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Rohrich
    Thanks Terry. I've been cutting up the same couple of tubes over and over and then welding them back together. The couple of times I tacked with pressure on the tubes to hold them tight seemed to help. I have a couple of ideas for clamping jigs, but I may just break down and buy a set of these clamps.

http://www.vansantent.com/welding_ac...ice_clamps.htm
    Gomer could have some fun with those ...

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

Tony Eeds aka Teeds aka Dad aka Grandpa and now TMTC Past President
    Ride in Texas? Support those among us working in your behalf.
    We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately - Ben Franklin

Thanks
    Do those come in my size?!?

Terry, I would have expected you to know that a properly oversized reamer will get rid of the dingleballs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by High Lord Gomer
    Terry, I would have expected you to know that a properly oversized reamer will get rid of the dingleballs.
    I just don't know anybody that has a properly oversized reamer. <--------Oops. I shouldn't have shown him that.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information