Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Torque wrench needed, reasonable suggestions?

As the thread suggests, I'm needing to buy one. I have searched the Topics, forums and I'm coming up with threads that are old, like 2002 old. Some of the brands that are suggested have either discontinued most of their stuff (Husky) or the ratings and reviews are scary (Craftsman) or you have to spend BIG bucks, excess of $300.00 (Snap On). My pockets are deep, but not that deep. Looking to get a quality wrench with out breaking the bank. Thanks Dennis

Thanks
    I own Matco 1/2 and 3/8 clicker models and an old Bonney 1/4 inch clicker model. I also have a 3/8 Harbor Freight clicker (for the mobile tool box) that I checked against my expensive ones. It seems as accurate at a fraction of the cost. The main problem that I have found with cheap ones is that if you try to use them near the top of their rated range, they will break.
    Last edited by Dirtdame; 03-06-2011 at 04:44 PM.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Thanks
    The Matco TRA200 1/4" (30-200 inch pounds) is an excellent piece that will stay accurate and last a very long time with a minimal amount of care. Precision Instruments makes the best torque wrench for the money (in my opinion) in the larger sizes, but I agree that the Matco stuff is first rate as well.

As for Chinese discount torque wrenches, if someone left a case of them on my doorstep I'd use them to fill the pothole in my street. That's about all they are good for.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."

- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)

Thanks
    I have looked at precision wrench's on the net. Matco? I'll have a look. Thanks!!

Thanks
    I use a Warren and Brown (Australian brand) and I get it recalibrated every few years, it has been excellent. In the long run you will regret spending too little more than spending too much. In regard to old torque wrenches, mine is 25yrs old and is still superb, money well worth spending. As a youngster, before getting a torque wrench I used to do it up until the thread stripped and then back it off 3/4 of a turn.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

"Shoot first, ask questions later."
    Go to my KDX200 resource page by clicking here.

Thanks
    I would stay away from the cheapo clicker style and get one with the bar indicator.

I had pulled on to many studs out of aluminum to trust my clicker...I would rather "torqe to feel"

Thanks
    Whatever brand you go with, multiply the expense times 3 to get wrenches to cover all the different sized fasteners and torque ranges.

I have been using Craftsman since 2002, and they seem to work well. They are on sale sometimes and three of them is not too expensive. I am not doing it for a living, so spending $1,000 to get some high end ones can not be justified for me.

I don't want to use the Harbor Freight / Pittsburgh stuff. Each of us has his own level of trust.

Thanks
    glad2ride: Thanks for the info, still researching for one that I will feel comfortable with. Dennis

Thanks
    This is like the one I bought 25yrs ago, not sure if its made in USA any more though

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...21#reviewsWrap

Thanks
    denbsteph, here is the main one I am referring to:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...1&blockType=L1

This range of torque fits the most fasteners of the three types I have.

If you are in the Craftsman Club, you can get them cheaper sometimes on sale. Sometimes they have regular sales, also.

I keep them stored in cases and loosen the spring tension and they continue to work well for me.

No matter which brand you go with, congratulations on getting serious enough about bikes to understand that you DO need to get one. I snapped my share of bolts and lost my fair share of "not tight enough" bolts before getting the torqe wrenches.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information