Close

Thanks

What Protective Gear

I got my boys into Motocross riding last year and this year they will be actually racing for the first time. Since I have never rode dirt bikes, I don't know much about what gear they should have. They are really flying over the jumps now, and scares of heck out of me, and I want to try to provide as much safety equipment as possible.

Boys are 14 yrs & 10 yrs, one rides Suzuki RM125 & other rides Yamaha YZ85. They have pants, jerseys, glove, helmets, EVS neck braces, chest protectors. Should I get them Knee/shin protectors. What about a kidney belt protector ?

Guess I'm a nervous Dad, think some of you may have been there, done that, and can lend a suggestion or two. Thanks

Last edited by gremmen; 05-14-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks
    Make sure you got some riding boots. The elbow and knee guards are up to them, elbow guards will help if the crash, they wont scrape up there elbow witch seems to be a very common thing.

Thanks
    Should I get them Knee/shin protectors. What about a kidney belt protector ?
    Yes,
    I find knee protectors a very good thing to have. Protects from rocks thrown up and your knees when you are thrown down.....
    I wear a kidney belt, it helps keep my innards from giggling so much.

and as said, if they don't have riding boots, then that is a must.

Dave

Thanks
    I recommend good knee protection (something that can reduce undesired movement), knee injuries can become lifelong troubles. Elbow pads and kidney belts are not necessary, but more protection is seldom a bad thing.

Thanks
    A good riding school.
    I don't know that Gary Bailey runs one anymore, but his was really good. Gary was a past champ, his son David was one incredible rider.
    What stood out the most for me (besides making you faster) was that he taught how to handle a bad situation... being prepared and confident when something unexpected comes up.

*Neither me, or either of my sons wore kidney belts... no need for them. Perhaps because we're thin and have no bouncing gut...?

*High quality knee braces are a good thing, but quite pricey.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
    C S Lewis, The Problem of Pain

Thanks
    Knee Braces will save you. I would look in on those but they are really pricey.
    The pair of knee braces that i would love are the Asterisk Cell knee brace.

Thanks
    Boots and Knee braces are a must especially if they're racing.

Thread Information