Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wardy
    i have rode both.

they are open class bikes. not '250's
    no doubt

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

"This most beautiful system of sun, planets and comets could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being."

Sir Isaac Newton

Thanks
    Wardy I'm with ya Witch leads me to want to say Run the 450's out doors 250's suppercross develop the 150 for the lights OR JUST BRING THE 125 AND 250 TWO STROKES BACK

Thanks
    On the list of top 3 pts for FIM 500Mx I see Yamahas showing up in the last 5 years of 500Mx. . I dont understand what thats all about. . I see Peter Johansson in 98. . I see Andrea Bartolini in 99. . I see Marnicq Bervoets in 00 + 01. . And I see Stefan Everts in 01 + 02
    Whoa!!!
    Don't forget that Bartolini,Bervoets and Everts were on YZ400/426/450 4 strokes,
    not a 500 open class 2 stroke, as was being discussed.

Despite those guys amazing talents on a motorcycle, I have some serious doubts at their ability to pull off championships those years,if aboard the YZ490 2 stroke
    So I don't think those titles are relevant to the demise of the 2 stroke open class.

Suzuki dropped the model,
    because they dint sell many.
    Yamaha was pretty much was the same , and heavily petitioned the AMA to drop the 500 class.

Ironically they came back to the AMA in 97? 98? to petition for a lift of the
    *production rule* so they could bring on the YZ400 4 stroke with Doug Henry on it, in the 250 class (with the allowed displacement advantage)

I'm not blaming Yamaha for the demise of the 2 stroke open class!
    I'm sure overall sales were down on the model, so Suzuki and Yamaha suffered first,
    since the Honda and Kawasaki offerings in that line up were doing better sales wise.
    (but likely still decreasing)
    It is a bit telling that Honda kept making the bike until 2001 and a bit longer in other markets, and that Kawasaki did until 2004.

Its also more than a bit ironic that the displacement allowences,and advancemsts in technology, have morphed the old traditional 125 and 250 classes to the point you have now a 250 and open class, with basically the samne or higher hp than before, and
    actually lost the 125 class.

The open class dint go away really in the long run? it morphed through an internship in the 250 class , to being 4 stroke open class, (same for the 250F's in the 125 class) ?

If that makes any sense

lol

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that it has never tried to contact us.

Thanks
    You might agree with what happened with 4strokes in 97 or not agree but the one thing thats for sure is that the AMA + the Japanese manufacturers moved right in and took control of Mx from the FIM. . They ended the AMA 500 class after the 93 season + let bigger 4strokes beat up on smaller 2strokes from 97 onward.

The FIM tried to pretend that they didnt notice or care, as if their European "World" Championship was all that mattered (schedule a couple rounds outside of Europe + you can call it "World" Championship, right ?). . But they finally gave in to the obvious in 2003. . MX1, 2, + 3 was a surrender flag. . By some stroke of stupidity, they apparently thought that if they copied the AMAs 4stroke move, they could then get back in the drivers seat. . They even made a failed power play on trying to take control of supercross + when that failed they tried to save face by slapping a FIM "World" Championship label on the series + run away

Heres the story:
    http://motocross.transworld.net/1000...ma-supercross/

Notice this paragraph:
    "Frankly, we have concerns about the competence of the FIM to manage a world-level supercross series. The FIM has established a contract with Dorna Offroad to handle its motocross and supercross events, but as Iíve mentioned, that combination has failed completely to create a competitive supercross series. And its grand prix motocross championship has never been in a weaker state."

You can get a better item of the scope of whats going on here:
    http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/N...IUSE-5553.aspx
    "In our humble opinion, GP motocross, as we know it today, is a dictatorship that is ruled with an iron fist."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information