Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol'89r
    It was stunt man and desert racer Bud Ekins that did the jump for McQueen.

Yes, and Ekins didn't look much like McQueen either. The actor may have been a good rider, but he didn't have the expert style of Ekins.

Ekins passed away not too long ago.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

aka Crazy Russian

Two strokes are trail bikes
    Four strokes are motocross bikes

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holeshot
    The actor may have been a good rider, but he didn't have the expert style of Ekins.
    That's true Ron. Ekins was an awesome racer. He won many desert events and GP's like the Catalina GP. He also won gold at the ISDT. I think he won Big Bear one year. Him and McQueen were on the same ISDT team at one time. McQueen was a natural. He did everything well and he didn't get a lot of recognition for his racing because he seldom signed up under his real name. If it were not for that other career of his, he could have been one of the best.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

" We had better become the home of the brave again or we will no longer be the land of the free."

Thanks
    Thanks, Terry! I didn't get as much detail when you told me before but I did get to drink your beer that day.

Thanks
    89r - Any McCoys riding back in the day? I guess they were stuntmen and pretty accomplished behind the bars, but maybe they came along later.

FWIW, I saw OAS at the theater the week it came out, and went to Jr. High with Jeff Ward before moving from the OC. Honda sent a film crew to our school to do a documentary on #3x back in the day. I got to watch him double clutch it to pass Myerscough at the '76 World Minis at Escape Country/Racing World way back when.

About then, I was riding Mark Blackwell's former '73 TM250 with Akront rims, forward mounted Boge shocks and a custom narrow aluminum tank.

Good times.

Wish I had still had that TM, as it would be vintage gold. My dad (RIP) broke his collar bone on that bike and we sold it in '79 for $200 when my buddy threw the chain and it broke the side and center cases.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
    89r - Any McCoys riding back in the day? I guess they were stuntmen and pretty accomplished behind the bars, but maybe they came along later.

About then, I was riding Mark Blackwell's former '73 TM250 with Akront rims, forward mounted Boge shocks and a custom narrow aluminum tank.

Good times.
    I didn't know the McCoys Dave. I did know Mark Blackwell and his dad. Two very cool guys.

Another racer/stunt man from that time was JN Roberts. He won just about everything there was to win in the desert at that time including the mint 400 and Baja. He was also featured in On Any Sunday.

Thanks
    HOW did I miss this till now ? Great stuff Terry !

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."

- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)

Thanks
    Thanks Rich. Just a little blast from the past.

Thanks
    Another great rider who is still working as a stuntman is Gregg Smrz. He's the last guy to win a national on a TZ750 and I think the first as a privateer.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/evantz750.htm

Back them Gregg's tuner was Phil Flack who went on to become an at the track Dunlop Tire Rep for road racers. Along the way Phil taught me a lot about reading spark plugs. Eric Gorr worked with Phil on a few special porting projects, and during that association Phil taught Eric and I a whole bunch of cool machining tricks.

On their way to the Road America AMA National in about 1982-83 Phil stopped by Eric's shop and I actually got to take a quick blast through the industrial park on the TZ750. I was racing a short wheelbase turbocharged dragbike at the time which I thought was the last word in WICKED FAST. Gregg & Phil's TZ750 laid that misconception to rest.
    Last edited by Rich Rohrich; 04-09-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information