Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XR440 kit

Thanks

XR440 kit

Hey all,
    I was advised to ask Eric Gore if he has an XR440 kit. Anyone know? I rode Cuzs' 440 this last weekend and it rocks. I guess Thumper Racing has a kit? Thanks for any info.

Thanks

Powroll

Hey Trailryder42,
    Check out Powroll, They have a couple different set-up for the XR400 and seem to be reasonable in price. www.powroll.com/honda_XR400.htm
    Good luck and keep us posted!

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

'04 450EXC Kent's / '06 CRF250X Angela's / '03 CRF230F Matt's

Thanks
    My son has a 440 kit,and I have an 280 kit from Thumper.We both have been very happy. Largest single improvement you can do to an XR.Don't forget the SUSPENSION.

Thanks
    Powroll offers the kit in either 10.5:1 or 12:1 compression. Question: does it go: the higher compression ratio you run, the higher octane fuel required? or the other way around? What would be the assets and tradeoffs of one over the other? Thanks.

Thanks
    The higher compression, the higher octane required.

With 12:1 you'll have to run straight, leaded race fuel - at least 110 octane.

Another option is the 415cc bore kit. This will create quicker reving power than the 440 kit, and some riders like it better. The 440 kit is best for torque and smooth power. The 415cc for rpm and quick power.

In a drag race on pavement, the 415cc kit will beat the 440cc kit. But in mud, the 440 kit will be better.

Hope this helps you out a little!

Thanks
    Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Hey Derek,

Check the XRs only website they have several different kits to punch out your XR. You may consider doing the valves and such while the jug is apart. I think I remeber Eric Gorr replying a Fellow DRN rider saying that going through him would be cheaper. But I may be talking out of turn on that.

I'm looking at the 430 kit as opposed to the 440. I hear you don't have to resleave with the 430 (again I'm not positive)

Looks like I'll be splitting cases this winter to replace my shift shaft so I might have Eric do a 430, port and valve deal on my 400 as well.

Let me know what happens

Rod

Thanks
    The 400 is another motor that likes Stainless exhaust valves.
    If you are popping it apart for a big bore, you might consider dropping good valves in it.
    You will notice that your valve lash will require less attention.

Thanks
    Originally posted by DualSportr

With 12:1 you'll have to run straight, leaded race fuel - at least 110 octane.
    Keep in mind the MON (or motor) octane rating of the fuel is the significant spec in this case. There are a number of race fuels with high overall octane numbers (> 100) but a large gap between RON and MON octane ratings. High RON rated fuel without comparable MON rating is fairly useless in an air cooled XR.

PJ - Don't forget to remind these guys that the (MON) octane the engine will require is dependent on the CR and the cam they are running, specifically how late the intake valve closes. The later the intake valve closes the lower the MON octane required (all else being equal). Running a 12:1 CR with the stock XR cam run (at stock lobe center angle) will generate very high cylinder pressures and an enormous amount of heat and in my opinion it's not a good idea regardless of the fuel you are running. It's not a coincidence that Honda matched a relatively low stock compression ratio with the stock early intake close timing.

Trailryder - Unless your rides are short and the engine only sees light loads it's best to be conservative with the CR on these engines and make sure you match the compression ratio and cam timing carefully. Don't forget it's still an air-cooled engine

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."

- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)

Thanks
    I'm looking at the 430 kit as opposed to the 440. I hear you don't have to resleave with the 430
    This kit leaves the stock liner VERY thin.

Not recommended for long piston life.

Rich, right as always - sometimes I just don't like to get that involved unless asked - I talk too much anyway (or should I say type too much!).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information