Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

KDX 200 VS. 220 Newbie here tryin to make a decis

Hey everyone, well its been awhile since I rode...about 10 years. Just moved to the seattle area and very interested in getting back into it. The last bike I rode was an old yamaha 80 trail bike

I've been doing a lot of research and am pretty sure I've decided on a KDX. I'm about 5'8" and 180 and will mostly be riding trails and possibly some enduro/scrambles as my skills progress. That said, what would you consider to be the pros and cons if considering the 200 vs. 220? I feel I'll advance relatively quickly (hopefully :D ) and I want a good beginner bike but also a bike I can mod relatively easy to increase performance as my skills improve. I'm pretty sure the KDX fits this profile but which one? and from what i"ve said so far... is this a good choice?

Secondly, I've heard these bikes are about as tough as they come as far as reliablity of the engine. Is this the overall opinion of this forum? I'll be the first to admit that my motorcycle mechanic skills are slim to none The kdx website will be of great help I'm sure, but I'm also curious to know if there are any manuals for kdx, something like Chiltons makes for cars, that cover everything? or even some sort of generic 2 stroke manual? Sorry if my lack of knowlege is obvious lol but hey, I gotta start somewhere.

Last of all, I know this topic has been covered in the past, but since I'm here I might as well ask. What would be a good price I could expect to pay out the door for either of these models.

Thanks in advance for the assistance. I can't wait to get out there again! And hey, if anyone is in washington and knows some good riding areas, drop me a line! Thanks again

Ryan

Thanks
    Whichever one you go for I don't think you'll be disappointed. My KDX has excelled in being cheap fun.

Thanks
    IMHO the 220 would be better for your size and has more hopup potential. I just purchased an 02 220, put on an FMF pipe and silencer and stiffened up the suspension and I think the bike rocks! I had a little trouble adjusting to it after having ridden 4strokes for the last 12 years, but I am adapting quickly and am becoming very fond of the little KDX

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

I'm not fast but I'm slow

Thanks
    I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. The one thing to consider if you get into riding enduros and harescrambles is the class you
    would ride in. Most events have a 0 to 200cc, 250cc, and open class. Then they have the special classes for VETS age 35+, Senior age 40+
    and so on. If you do't get to ride in the specialty classes a 220 has to ride in the 250cc class. This is how most of the SETRA events here in the
    southeast run. I got off a 98 KTM300 and onto a 01 KDX220. This is my first year in the Senior class and the KDX220 is very competive and has
    not failed me at any event this year. It handles better in the woods and is a lot of fun to ride on trails with the boys. I put the FMF Rev pipe,
    FMF silencer, modified the air box lib, and added Boyseen reeds. These mods will help any KDX really pick up the power. I'm still searching for
    a little more horsepower without getting into the engine.

Thanks
    I would say that whatever you can find a good deal on is your best bet. With just a pipe and springs you can be ready to to rock!!

Happy Trails

Thanks
    I'm trying to make the same decision right now. I've got a 93 200 that I love, but I want something new. KDX I have decided on, but not sure which to get. I'm leaning toward the 220, because I have put on a few pounds since I got the 93, and would like a little more low end grunt. With the 200, I have to be on the pipe a little too much for my taste. It still makes good power down low, I just want a tad more.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

Greg P.
    VCHSS 31P
    2008 KTM 300XCW
    Part Time Racer and Class Clown

Thanks

If you race go 200

and get the front fork springs stiffer, add the FMF pipe, mod the airbox, add hand guards and ride. Might want to get an o ring chain right away too. Those mods will cost you about the same as a 220 OTD as the 220 is about $350 more retail than the 200 and you will still need to add the money to the 220 except for the o ring chain. You will qualify for the 0-200 class and unless you are A or AA class then you will be competative on that bike IMHO.

Go fast addons will be readily available if needed down the road.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

* If any of the comments posted by me are offensive to you, or hurt your feelings please place a complaint to arbitration committee leader Wolverine423. He's very sensitive to understanding peoples feelings. He should be fair about it.

Thanks
    I have the luxury of owning both bikes. My son rides the 200 and I ride the 220. From my point the 220 was much more friendly when it came to jetting and the like, the 200 was a jetting nightmare. We finally got it right, but the 220 was much easier to dial in. The 220 stock had more low end grunt and with the addition of the rev pipe, tc2, airbox mod it now will giddy up from bottom to top. The 200 with the torque pipe, tc2, airbox mod still lacks a little on the low end requiring a little more clutch manipulation. Both are excellent bikes and truely either one you pick will give great service

My .02
    Lew

Thanks
    Go with the 200!

Thanks

NO!! NO!!

get a 220

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information