Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Green sticker 2 strokes in California

Do you guys know which if any 2 stroke bikes can be green stickered here in california? I want a 2 stroke but I want to be able to ride the trails year round. Do I just need a spark arrestor? I'll be buying a 01 or 02 bike. Thanks for any info!

Thanks

RE: green 2 stroke

I think the only '01/'02 green 2 strokes are KTM G-models. Otherwise buy from out-of-state, like Canada. Spark arrestors are required on all bikes on public riding areas.

Thanks
    Dorkal,
    A freind of mine bought a new 2001 kx125 and got a green sticker..I bought my 250 a few months later and got a red sticker.. I think its kinda "luck of the draw" who knows.. Are you buying a new or used bike??
    Rick

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

Revenge is a meal, best served cold

Thanks
    To get a green sticker for sure you need a pre 1998 2 stroke

Thanks
    Originally posted by rickyd
    Dorkal,
    A freind of mine bought a new 2001 kx125 and got a green sticker..I bought my 250 a few months later and got a red sticker.. I think its kinda "luck of the draw" who knows..
    Some DMV's run out of or don't have red stickers, so they give out a green sticker in it's place. Another words, you got lucky for the next two years. I've talked to a few guys who've done this, and they immidiately tell all there riding buddies which DMV it is! Gotta pull every trick you can I guess.

All two-strokes 98 on are red sticker, no matter what. A friend of mine that rides trials bikes says that all trials bikes get a green sticker, but that is due to the extremly low amount of trials bikes sold in California.

If you insist on a 01 or new 2-stroke, you're gonna have to live with owning a 'red sticker' bike. I'm not holding my breath for the emissions standards to lower in this state, so any bike I buy must be a 'green sticker' bike.

Matt

Thanks
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by MCassle
    [B]

Some DMV's run out of or don't have red stickers, so they give out a green sticker in it's place. Another words, you got lucky for the next two years. I've talked to a few guys who've done this, and they immidiately tell all there riding buddies which DMV it is! Gotta pull every trick you can I guess.

I got my red sticker from the DMV by mail.. Can you go to a local dmv and get a green sticker?? Everytime i see my buds 2001 kx125, i see the green sticker.. He got it by mail, didnt wait for the dmv to run out of red sticker HAHAHA
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. Hmmm. What would be a good 4 stroke trail and mx bike? I don't want the red sticker! California sucks when it comes to this crap. Geez.

Thanks

Re: RE: green 2 stroke

Originally posted by msport
    I think the only '01/'02 green 2 strokes are KTM G-models. Otherwise buy from out-of-state, like Canada. Spark arrestors are required on all bikes on public riding areas.
    The G model is the RFS line up, which are 4 strokes and only the 02's are green bikes. The word in the underground is that the entire 03' line up of RFS' will be green bikes.

Thanks
    dorkal.

Look at the Vin#. If the Vin# has a '3' or a 'C' in the eighth digit, then it is red sticker only. Count all numbers and letters back to the eighth digit.

If you can go with a four stroke, you might want to look at an out of state or Canadian model WR Yamaha. These make great track or trail bikes and you can even get them dual sported in California if they have the right Vin#.

Just my $ .02

Thanks
    Originally posted by Kaw_Boy_5
    To get a green sticker for sure you need a pre 1998 2 stroke

I think it is actually 96 and older, a few 97's made into the grandfather years because they were made before Jan. 1st, 97. Some of the licky ones that get a green sticker on a new bike may still find a red sticker in the mail box when it comes time to renew, plus a ranger can take it away if he wants to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information