Close

Thanks

Calories burned while riding....

I am looking for information reguarding the amount of calories that are burned while riding. If anyone has any specifics on how many calories are burned during a race or moto that would be perfect! Thanks!

Thanks
    they have these things you wear while running that tell you how many calories youve burned...they would probably work for riding too

Try this site
    Last edited by YoTRacer158; 05-11-2002 at 01:35 PM.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

2009 Sponsors: SixSixOne, Tag Metals, Filtron, Panolin America, Boyesen, HotCams, RiderSupport.net, Utopia Optics, Vestal Watches, and Osiris Shoes.

Thanks
    The wearable calorie counters are either pedometers or accelerometers (sporting fudge factors to convert movement into calories expended). Neither would work correctly on a motorcycle, since you would be measuring the "up and down" motion (pedometer) and the acceleration (accelerometer) of the motorcycle, not the person under their own power.

I was able to find one place that listed calories burned during motocross (281 kcal/hr for a 155lb rider; no citation was given as to how this was determined, therefore I don't know how accurate the number is). Thus, if you ride for one hour you have not yet burned up that 32 oz coke that you had for breakfast (310 kcal). It will take you two hours of riding to burn up that Big Mac (560 kcal).
    Last edited by Lemming; 05-12-2002 at 09:19 AM.

Thanks
    Get a heart rate monitor with a memory. I believe you could calculate how much cals you burned by using a formula, in regards to your rate and the time. something like that

Thanks
    1 hr of cardio at the gym, heart rate at 137. I can burn between 700 to 800 cal. All depending on what machines. 30 min on the cross train I burn around 420. I would guess for a 15 min moto around 250 to 350 maybe. Depends on a lot of differant things. Track layout and how hard you ride.

Thanks
    I wondered about the calorie thing too. I fi0gure if I can run a fast mile in 8-10 minutes, which most exercise charts say burns about 150cal, then 1 hard moto, which lasts about the same time burns about as many calories or moreas running the mile. My heart rate is higher after a moto on a mx track than running a mile, so maybe its more.

Thread Information