Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

1st Bike for a 6-year old? (XR50 or JR50 or PW50)

Hello all. I promised my 6-year old son that Santa might get him a dirt bike this Christmas if he did well in school (1st grade). So far, so good on his end. Therefore, I'm in the early stages of shopping for a beginner bike. We don't have any intentions of racing, but do intend on lots of trail riding on logging roads and wooded trails, etc. He's 42.5# and 46 3/4" tall and will be 7 years old in March 2003. He fits perfect (approximately flat footed) on both a Yamaha PW50 and a Suzuki JR50. I'm sure either bike would tickle him to no end, however I'm hoping to get something that would last him 'till he's at least 8 years old. (I realize this might be a stretch, since they grow so fast). I heard the PW50 is a great bike and I'm leaning heavily towards it simply b/c it's a shaft drive, however I've heard the JR50's are good also and that their height can be adjusted somewhat. These two models are in my mind the top picks so far just b/c they are single speeed bikes and should be easy to learn on. The Honda I'm sure would be great as well, but since this will be his first bike, I'm thinking the 3-speed and auto clucth would be difficult for him. I'm hoping you good folks could shed some light here and lend some useful advice. Since I ride a KDX200, I've also considered the new KDX50 just b/c he'd get a kick out of having a green bike like his Dad. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    You may have or may not have read about my delima with my old PW50. The PW50 is an awesome bike and I think I might just have a bad seed but after all it IS 21 years old. To that end, I went out and bought a new PW80 for my 5 year old son. He can hold the bike up just barley but once he is off he rides like a champ. The three speed thing has not been hard for him to adjust to at all (although I must admit he has only gotten to 2nd). He only had about three weeks on the 50 before it broke down. I was amazed yesterday as he zoomed around on the 80 like it was nothing at all. So , that being said I would recomend the 80 and leave the restrictor plate in for a while.

Thanks
    If you want to just trail ride buy the XR50. just add gas and ride. The 4 stroke has more torque, and a 3 speed automatic clutch tranmission.
    I had a Suzuki good little bike but not enough power for any real hills.

Thanks
    IF you want something that will give you a couple of years use, then go with one of the 80cc 4 stks. At 4' tall, he's really too tall for both the PW & JR.

With the autoclutches on the 80's, he can simply leave it in 1st while he gets use to throttle and learns to control it. Then he has room to grow.

From past experience, these kids will advance quicker and faster than most parents will want. Probably after a month or two of riding, he'll be pushing the suspension to the limit on the 80's.

Either the XR by Honda or the TTR by Yamaha would be good choices.

Thanks
    I would seriously take a look at the xr50, just don't tell him about the gears until you feel he's ready.. Plus they have good resale value and Honda makes a Great bike.. My freinds kids have a older honda50 that runs all day w/no problems..
    Hope this helps you some,
    RIck
    PS.. Santa gonna get him all the safety gear??

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

Revenge is a meal, best served cold

Thanks
    Of course Santa plans to get the safety gear as well as the bike. Santa's no bonehead, you know. LOL. Actually we've been in the local cycle shops a couple times each month kicking tires and trying on gear to get Santa educated on what size gear to buy. As for which bike, I'd be afraid to get anything bigger than a 50 at this point. Just for kicks and grins, I had him throw a leg over a Kawasaki KLX110 to see how well it fit him. That bike is TOO big for him IMHO w/ it's 25.6" seat height. (The XR70 and Yamaha PW80 and TTR90 have almost identical seat heights around 25") He was nowhere near able to reach the ground on the bike. I'd think he would get discouraged quickly if the bike is too big and or hard to control. Keep the information coming... I could be convinced to go w/ the Honda.

Thanks
    My little one is 7 and is 50 inches tall. The XR 70 is a great fit for him and he should be able to ride it next year. I would go with the Honda 4 stroke....It is hard to beat their reliaibility and resale. :thumb:

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

<< JC4LIFE>>
    Many Thanx to MX-Tech Forward Motion Racing Engines 441 Designs

Thanks
    My son raced the PW50 and its a great beginner track bike with the appropriate mods. If your going to trail ride it you won't have much fun. No bottom end torque. The JR50 actually has 2 speeds the lower gear is hiddend and with grinding off a tab inside you unleash the extra gear. Without the lower gear you will never make it up an decent sized hill.
    We also owned an xr50. I put my 200+ pound butt on it and it will pull me anywhere. It goes good with the kids. You can start off by just throwing it in 2nd and pretty much you can go anywhere. My daughter rode the xR for a short time on the track and in 2nd it would take here anywhere. On the PW there were several hills we had to push her up.
    On anything but fairly flat ground the bike was a pig until we put the QT50 gears on it.
    Plus the Xr50 basically only needs air filter clean, oil changes and valve adjustments every once in a while. PW's kinda eat topends if you run them hard.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

Jason Renville
    www.pitvipermx.com
    Austin Texas

Thanks
    Originally posted by Jasle
    PW's kinda eat topends if you run them hard.
    We went through 2 jugs, 7 pistons and countless rings this year.
    I would go with the xr if your not planning on doing any racing and just trail riding. Don't go with the pw or jr if you live by any hills. Xr would last a long time. Also alot of mods you can do to them. chck out fast50's.com i think it is.

Thanks
    I just bought a XR50 for my nephew, Yeah my nephew (thats my story and I'm sticking to it) and it's his first bike, it took about an hour to learn the brakes and gears. He had a blast on it.
    I hope he doesn't mind the stiffer suspension big bore kit and Pro Circuit pipe I just got for it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information