Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

KTM 300 EXC one of the best all around bikes ?

I am thinking about buying my first KTM. One of my local dealers, who rides alot himself is adviseing me to go with a 300 exc. I would like to know what you guys and ladies think. How would this compare to the 450 exc and 250 exc . I will use this for trail riding and maybe a few hare scrambles, I have a CR250 for MX. Also how reliable are they, this same dealer who rides a 300 himself is claiming over 10,000 miles on the origional top end, can this be possible?

Thanks
    Can't vouch for the 10,000 miles but I have had my 300 for one year now and it has been the best money I have ever spent on a bike. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it. It still has the original spark plug. I came off a YZF when I purchased the 300 and have never regretted it. The one thing that a four stroke gives you is a higher center of gravity. I didn't realize what a difference this made until I went back to a two stroke.

Get the 300 you will not be disappointed.

Thanks
    Had a 98 300MXC and had no trouble at all with that bike. Purchased a new 2002 300 MXC in the spring of 2002. Other than some jetting troubles in the begining I have had no trouble since. Wanted to get a 400 4 stroke when I purchased the 300 but could not justify the additional purchase and maintenance cost of the 400. Rode a 2001 400 SX, and found that the engine felt very similar to the 300. If you don't mind a 2 stroke, the 300 has got to have the smoothest power delivery of any I have ridden.

Thanks
    Really great bikes! Pretty much all I've ever owned were big-bore XR's (500, 600, 650), so it was quite a change when I got the 300 in June of '02. I miss the four-stroke motor every now an again, mostly the low RPM roll-on torque. The 300 is a friggin' tractor compared to 250 MX bikes, but still isn't *quite* as tractable as a thumper. They haul the mail on top end too. I've yet to have any trouble with mine.

My best friend has an '03 450 EXC, I've ridden it quite a bit. The motor on that bike is really good. Lots of low-mid power but it doesn't fall on its face on top. Without a doubt its gotta lot more torque than the 300. In a flat straight line drag race, its hard to say, they feel about even.

I can really feel the higher center of gravity and extra weight of the 450. It just feels weird coming off the 300. With the 300 I feel like I can flick the bike anywhere and throw it around with no effort. The 450 just has this dead planted feel.

The best way I can describe the 250 EXC is that its pretty much like a detuned 250 MX'er. Doesn't have the grunt of the 300, is more rev-happy, etc. Still very nice machines though, with plenty of power.

Thanks
    If you ride the open stuff the 300 is a tough act to follow. For tight woods the 250 was the ticket for me.

The 250 has enough power to haul me around anything in the wet side of WA and has plenty of power for the forays up the slopes of the Cascades. I've never run low on power.

Either one is a great choice

Thanks
    Ive had 12 300 KTMs.I will be getting # 13 when the 2004s comeout.

Thanks
    I think it is the best 2 stroker made for woods/hare scramble. Of course the 450 exc would be the best 4 stroker!

Thanks
    The 300 is a great bike. I rode my 00 for two years and it still looked and felt brand new. I wish I could say the same about the YZ250's I have owned.

Thanks
    I'm getting ready to buy a new bike, and am trying to decide between a 300 mxc and a 450 mxc. I've been riding thumpers since I was a kid, and am currently on an xr400. But I'm getting into racing (HS/Enduro, maybe some MX), and it's obvious the XR isn't the best bike for this. I'm starting to think the 300 might be the way to go. I like that it's lighter and a little cheaper than the 450. But how big of an adjustment do you guys think it will be? The last 2-stroke I rode was a late 70's Husky.

Also, are there any major differences between the '02 and '03 300's? I've seen a couple new and nearly new '02's out there for a little less $$'s than the '03.

I need to sell one of my other bikes before the wife will let me put money into another toy. Anyone interested in a '00 Triumph Daytona or a '98 Harley Sportster? :-)

thanks

Thanks
    I liked mine. I think I like the 520 better, but for the money you can't beat a 300. They are cheaper than any other EXC of the same year, and as 2 strokes go they are an absolute jack-of-all-trades.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

Charles - 99 KTM 250 EXC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information