Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    What is the best and cheapest way to lower the suspension on my 92 kdx 200.

------------------
    f725

Thanks
    Moved to Canadian Daves Just KDX Fourum

------------------
    David
    99' YZ400

Thanks
    The best way to 'lower' it is to get used to riding it where it is now!

If that doesn't work, you can lower it some by using a different length set of pull rods (dog bones). My '00 dropped about 1/2" going from the stock 112.5mm to 114mm.

Suspension tuners have told me that the ONLY 'correct' way to lower the bike is thru reworking the shock. That's spendy. With the pull rod idea, the geometry of the suspension changes.

You can lower the front by raising the fork tubes in the clamps. The higher they are set, the 'quicker' and less stable at high speeds your front end will be (less trail º).

Search for posts on this forum by 'michelle'. She rides a 200 down under..has a set of 115mm pull rods on now, I think.

Of course, I'm assuming there is a fair similarity between a '92 and a later model KDX. Honestly, the only thing I KNOW about a '92 KDX is that it's older'n mine!

Big help, huh?

uh............It is green....right??

------------------
    • OLD member
      'oh-oh' KDX 200
      '86 Nighthawk 700 SC
      (a motorcyle even if it doesn't have a chain!)

Thanks
    Do you have too much suspension? Or is the bike too tall? I can't imagine a 92 being too tall. I ride a 92 and an 89 and I am only 5'3". The 92 has stock seat foam with mushes down when you sit on it. The 89 has a stiffer foam that doesn't mush down and therefore feels taller. Check to see if you have the mushy foam. If not you can order some.

Don't mess with "lowering" the bike if you can help it. It will decrease your suspension travel not to mention lower the resale value. Have you set the preload and sag and forks for your height, weight, and riding style? You can't just buy a bike especially a used one, and expect the settings to fit you.

How tall is the person riding the bike? How heavy are they with full gear?

Brenda

------------------
    89, 92 KDX 200, 240
    98 Montesa
    94 ATK 250, 406

Thanks
    We were faced with either lowering a KDX or waiting until our 13 year old (5-0) would grow into it, so we did what we had to:

First you can experiment with PVC spacers inside the shock, a 1/4" spacer on the shaft will get you about an inch at the rear wheel.

Or... you can just lower the sag, which won't work for isde types (or wannabees) but will allow a shorter rider to enjoy the bike.

I also pulled the fork legs up a litle over an inch in the triple trees which effectively lowered the front end also.

As I said these won't work for pros ( or wannabes) but will allow a younger shorter individual to get used to the bike.

Hope your KDXs bring you as much fun as my son's has.

-HR

Thanks
    The dogbones I got work on all bikes from 89 on, so guess Kwakka didn't change that part of the bike at all.

If you do a search in here, you'll find a few links for a set, from memory they're about $60. I know I almost burst into tears when I realised how little it changed the height of the bike (I'm 5'3'), but what a difference it has made when riding. The other thing is if the person grows, or doesn't like it, you can always put the stock ones back in (about a 5 minute job).

I still have to watch where I'm going to hop on the bike, but it's not really an issue, usually a foot or so away is an ideal position. (I've kept the kickstand on to help)

The other thing you could do is chop down the seat. (which is irreversible unless you buy another seat foam).

Thanks
    Cheap ******* here.

Well I advocate the cheapest means is cutting the seat foam down. Works just fine but riding the bike I wonder if I went a little far, maybe I’m not as short as I thought I was.

You could always try getting taller. Smart bastd huh? No really, you’ve seen those silly adds in comic books. But try this. Take your boots to a GOOD Shoesmith/Cobbler person & get them to add another sole. There’s half an inch straight off. Could be more fashionable these days?

------------------

Thanks
    My buddy shaved the seat on his new KDX and it helped him out.

------------------
    99'KX 250

Thanks
    I need to raise my bike :think

I'm riding a KDX if that helps. Thinking of finding a shorter one than my current stock rods to raise the bike to a more comfortable level. Its too low for me.

Also heard that the aftermarket ones may be dangerously weaker than the stock ones, and may break whilst wacking the bike. Any reccomendations to solid-SOLID rods?

I have access to a CNC machine. Would titanium or steel make a good choice of material for the rods if I wanna DIY it myself?

Thanks for any suggestions =)

Thanks
    Have you checked the KDX pages?
    http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/
    then go to tech tips
    then tips for taller riders

FYI, the rods that I got are just steel - same thickness as stock. Also, they shouldn't be whacking the bike??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information