Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Amsoil = Spooge?

Has anyone been using Amsoil premix oil and found it results in excess spooge?

I started using it this spring..and have been major spoogie on my 00 KTM300EXC.  

At about the same time i started with the Amsoil, i started messing with jetting - to no avail on the spooge factor...bike runs fine and clean but the spooge is so bad it drips on the rear brake rotor - makes for poor braking action!  I have done tons of research here on DRN and elsewhere, running pretty much recommended specs on jetting...yet still spooge! Oh i am running premix at 40 to 1.

so - is it the oil...or is it the jetting?

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

Current Bikes
    05 KTM 250 EXC "Larry"
    99 Kawasaki KDX 200 - "Twitch" - kid's ride
    03 KTM 200 MXC - "Alex" - the other kid's ride
    76 Penton 250 Cross Country - "Ted" - named after my moto hero!

Thanks
    The jetting.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."

- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)

Thanks
    yeah Rich...i was afraid someone would say that!  :whiner:

Man I have done all the DDK, CEK bla bla bla messing I think I can tolerate!  I have been trying to be conservative though with the jetting  (lost a top end moving to quick with it last summer!), so maybe i gotta go back with the good ole #7 slide (it was that slide that I seized with inspite of what I thought was otherwise fat jetting!)

OK...someone else jump in and tell me its the oil so i feel better!

Thanks
    It is always the jetting that causes the problem, in my opinion.

Thanks
    It's the OIL. You mixed it in an engine that is jetted poorly

Thanks
    i use amsoil at 32:1 and it burns nice and clean :thumb:

Thanks
    Mike,
    Keep in mind that jetting is not a thing you can just accomplish and be done with. The need for jetting changes come and go like the weather....and WITH the weather.
    Always be leary of the tuning abilities of a person who gives you specific jetting specs. He probably has less than a clue.

And remember also that a little spooge isn't always a bad thing, it just means you aren't on the ragged edge of lean. And if you don't plan on changing your jetting on a continued basis when conditions dictate the need, it is better to be a bit spoogy, imo.

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

The Universe is my way, Love is my law. Peace is my shelter, Experience is my school.
    Obstacle is my lesson, Difficulty is my stimulant. Pain is my warning, Work is my blessing. Balance is my attitude, Perfection is my Destiny. -Guillermo Tolentino

Thanks
    It could be your gas

actually I am surprised Rich didnt jump on that

To plaguerize Rich.

" For whatever reason splooge is the incomplete burning of your fuel . The most common cause is poor jetting."

I would venture to say that if you are loosing your brakes because of splooge your jetting is pretty far off and not just a poor gas quality problem.

Thanks
    BTW which Amsoil premix oil are you using? The 100:1 stuff or the Series 2000 Premix? My pumpkin spooged with any premix until I fixed the exhaust issue that all 360's had and got the jetting cleaned up. Then pretty much any good synthetic gave me the same results. I ran Series 2000 in pump premium at 50:1 with no issues at all and still use the Series 2000 at 80:1 in VP MR2 in my Montesa. Lots of folks do try to use the 100:1 oil because it's less expensive but if you read their product info it's pretty specific that it's for lawn equipment etc...

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

"I ride, therefore I crash." - Patman ~~~~ "Do or do not, there is no try!" - Yoda

Thanks
    Most of the guys I ride with here who ride tight woods with a 00 vintage 300's are running a cek-3 or 4 with a 42 pilot + or - one size with a 172 to 178 main depending on temp and altitude. other combos includea ddk-2-3 or dck-2-3 with similar pilots and perhaps a size lower main with the d series taper. If you run a 7 slide go to _ _ J series needles. a dcj-2 with a 7 slide and a 42 pilot should get you close. A dck-2 with a 6 slide is nearly identical. If you run more open stuff or sand a 1/2 to full clip richer on the needle and larger mains will be safer. If you want more hit try a the cek-5. Since this is tight woods the throttle is not held open for long at all.

I'm curious how close this is to the package that you squeaked your top end with and what the trail and weather conditions were.

Bottom line is: If your combustion temps are not high enough to burn the oil you get spooge. The most common causes of low combustion temps are rich jetting, poor/wrong fuel and plonking along.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information