Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey thanks for all the replies guys!  (I dunno about Rich though....clearly I didnt mix the oil in the engine...i mixed it in the gas can )

Ok...on the Oil - its the Series 2000 stuff (not the lawnmower stuff!).

On topic of gas - i have been running pump gas - 93 octane - more often then not from a BP station.  Last year I typically ran a 50/50 mix of pump 93 and pump 110 - but I can no longer get the 110 locally (I live about 1/2 between nowhere and nowhere else) - plus I was hoping to avoid the cost of the high octane stuff (I know...dont be so cheap!)

Regarding the jetting when i trashed a top end last year:

#7 slide, 185 Main, 45 Pilot, A/s 1 3/4 out, R1466N needle, clip 4th up from bottom.

I must admit - top end went on an extended WFO road section (I was makin up lost time!) - i was trying to roll off periodically, etc, but earilier in that day I must admit the bike just was not pulling on top like it normally did -   As i recall weather was humid, maybe low to mid 80s .  After this happened, i went back to the #6, even tried a NOZH so i had a "stock" base line.  After a fair bit of messing around ended essentially as listed above, except #6 slide.  That was way fat down low (huge fowling issues when i rode pokey slow with the kids)

My jetting currently is:

#6 slide 185 Main, 42 Pilot, A/s 1 3/4 out, CEJ Needle, clip 3rd from bottom.

I had bought 2 other needles in addition to the CEJ (the choice of needles I went with  was based in part on either recommendation from you fishhead, or jame dean over on the holeshot site) (unfortunately I dont recall exactly which ones...but two cxx series - so i think one was the CEJ the other CEL (maybe CEK? - I will check out tomorrow night), and I think the last one was a DDJ ( I wanted a DDK but Sudco was out of stock).  to me ALL felt lean, particularily 1/2 throttle and up. - (I had taken notes...which since have disappeared oops!), I tried plug reads but found no matter what i got all white plugs and further research here on DRN indicated that was not uncommon).  With the jetting set as listed above, bike overall "feels" OK.  Nice smooth power, feels a tiny bit fat down low, and ironically, almost lean again 1/2 throttle and above.  I wonder if it is less that it is actually lean there, but more that these needles made for less hit (?). 

I ride in Michigan...so typically under say...500 to 1000 feet in elevation, temps more recently up 70s to low 80s, occasionally mid 80s.  Most riding I do is tighter woods, some faster (for me at least!) wood on occasion.  I have spent a fair bit of time plonkin along with my kids as well - though I dont necessarily want to set the bike up solely based on that.

I have been reluctant to move down from the 185 main as I had seized with on before...maybe I need to give that a go...or do i go back to the #7 -  (perhaps staying with the CEJ as Fishhead suggested ? I am riding tomorrow night after work, and moved my clip up one notch (4 up from bottom), and on Saturday might try that #7 again (or perhaps other suggestions here)??  I think the gist of it all...i need to buy a dozen plugs, and play around...problem is not enoght time in the day!

thanks again...LMK any other suggestions other than going to a 4 stroke!

m y   s i g n a t u r e:

Current Bikes
    05 KTM 250 EXC "Larry"
    99 Kawasaki KDX 200 - "Twitch" - kid's ride
    03 KTM 200 MXC - "Alex" - the other kid's ride
    76 Penton 250 Cross Country - "Ted" - named after my moto hero!

Thanks
    A cej-3 with a 6 sounds a bit rich on the bottom but it will be as lean as a nozh-1 in the mid section. You can probably balance the jetting a little better and still be safe.

With a 7 slide I would start with the ddj-3 with a 42 or 45 pilot and a 175 or 178 main but it will be safer to work down a step at a time on the mains. for slow speed stuff the leaner pilot might the best choice perhaps a 40 will be in order. don't be afraid to drop the needle a clip position and note the results

If the 1466n is a honda needle it is a lot richer on the straight section than the ddj but the L1 dimension is quite a bit longer which will make the midsection of the throttle opening quite a bit leaner. I pefer the ddk and dck needles for most of my stuff. Rich to lean dck-3, ddk-3 dck-2, ddk-2 in 1/2 clip increments with a 6.5 slide. Nothing special about the 6.5 it what the bike came with. I use the cek and cej needles or their honda equivelents for specific purposes.

Happy jetting and let us know how it goes :thumb:
    Last edited by fishhead; 08-08-2003 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks
    Mike, take a look at James Dean's jetting spreadsheet (you can get it at Thumpertalk). It's invaluable in looking at your jetting and the effect of changes.

I evaluated some of your settings, and I'd say you're pretty lean in the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle range and fat on the very bottom and on top. I have to qualify that in that I'm comparing that to my 250 jetting. Also the setting you had the problem with was very lean in the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle range.

This spreadsheet really allows me to fine tune my jetting with temperature changes as well, a thing we in Michigan have to deal with every year.

Thanks
    Since I am still an avid Amsoil 2000 user in 300. I will add a comment or 2.

Rich hit it on the head, Jetting and fuel type. Someone else mentioned the 300 as it can sometimes be ridden does not generate the heat needed for complete combustion. This is my case. I like running a gear hi in the trail and I am not very fast anymore. I get spooge. When I tweak the bike with VP C12 in the cooler temps or MR2 during the drier summer temps. I can get close to no spooge running fireroads and open trail. My son can take it out and do a few hot laps on our tight 1st/2nd gear HS track and the bike comes back with a dry silencer and most of my tire chewed up.

Goodluck.
    These bikes can be jetted better. I agree that you are way fat on top. If you are lean 1/4-1/2 then power is off and you twist it into the fat part of the jetting to get going. I richened up the mid settings and lost the ping and gained loads of response.

Thanks
    after getting the JD jetting guide, its a good $20 well spent. I doubt the #7 slide siezed the bike though since it only effects in the 0-1/4 thottle position and there is also a bit of overlap with the needle width.

Thanks
    top end went on an extended WFO road section (I was makin up lost time!) - i was trying to roll off periodically,
    A slow throttle rolloff from full throttle will cause a lean condition and a major cause of seizing on an otherwise decent jetted bike if the oil fails. Did you say what brand oil you were using when it seized?

Thanks
    I rode about 65 miles this weekend with the clip moved up one notch.  Big improvement on the spooge factor - though still some - not enough to drip on the caliper like before though.  After the ride the plug looked 1/2 and 1/2!  One half was a light tan, the other half looked black!  I have been told I am a half  rider before - guess this is proof!

I agree i am still a tad rich down low, and a hair lean in the middle  (wish that description applied to me personally :confused: !).  but time constraints will prevent much messing with it for a week or two now.  If I am lean in the middle - what to do so I dont fatten it up down low any more?  Seems a larger pilot will go to fat for me, and the needles have just now gotten the bottom end cleaned up - or is it a different needle that is needed?

JDs jetting guide sounds like the ticket - is it an excell spreadsheet or something?  I should get it.

Oh -skippro3 - I was running Maxima Super M when I seized.  I am wondering if you are right...simply pushing to hard, momentary lean.... I now understand best to momentarily kill with kill switch keeping gas on.  Better yet, dont ride so stinkin slow in the tight stuff so I wont need to push so fast on the open stuff!

Thanks guys for all the comments.  Now I am off to the garage to install some wheel bearings and some new S-12's!

Thanks
    Mike, yeah the jetting guide is an Excel spreadsheet. Anyone trying to jet their bike ought to have it.

I'm glad you've got things a little closer. You may want to take that main jet down and put your needle clip back and see what happens.

Thanks
    Oh yeah. Mike, what is the stock needle that came in your bike? Was it an NOZG?

Thanks
    Originally posted by KTM Mike
    If I am lean in the middle - what to do so I dont fatten it up down low any more?  Seems a larger pilot will go to fat for me, and the needles have just now gotten the bottom end cleaned up - or is it a different needle that is needed?

JDs jetting guide sounds like the ticket - is it an excell spreadsheet or something?  I should get it.

Depends what you are running now. The d_ _ needles are leaner on the bottom and richer above 1/4 to 3/8 or so compared to c taper needles. By all means get the JDJetting guide. If you are running a cej-2 you are quite a bit leaner in the middle than I would run. A ddj-3 with a 7 slide will be cleaner on the bottom and richer in the mid section. If you are running a ddj-2 then a ddk-3 will be leaner on the bottom and richer in the mid section. The jetting guide allows you to plug these variables in including slide cutaway and pilot and main and see the effect on jetting. It's the best $29.95 you will spend and it's a bargain.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information