“All Balls” steering bearing kit is a waste of $$$

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Last July, I had to replace my original OEM steering head bearings and races. I used an “All Balls” kit. It was apart again in Sept for a quick check when I had my forks off for some other reason.

Last weekend, I decided to do my spring fork oil change and WER damper service. After the steering damper and fork were off and I turned the bars from lock-to-lock it felt lumpy and bumpy. Uh-oh. :ugg:

An inspection revealed that while there was still lot of grease - no different than the OEMs used to look, corrosion had a good foothold and the races did not feel smooth. I’m not impressed with the All Balls kit and won’t be using it again. I think it is a materials issue. These things are made in Korea (I think) and the metal seems much less resistant to corrosion that the OEMs were. I’m going to give the Pivot works kit a try next and if that does not do any better I’ll be back to paying OEM prices for Kawi bearings. At least they are better quality Japanese bearings.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
You can order those bearings through any auto parts store.

Just get the numbers off the bearing as they are stamped in there. Then you can get a Timken or BCA bearing to replace them. They are usually cheaper than OEM and just as good if not better quality.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by Matt90GT
You can order those bearings through any auto parts store.

Just get the numbers off the bearing as they are stamped in there. Then you can get a Timken or BCA bearing to replace them. They are usually cheaper than OEM and just as good if not better quality.

Yes - but i think his issue was with wear/corrosion with the bearing races or cups.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A local bearing supplier told me they could indeed get the bearings, but not with the seal (bottom bearing).

When I got my last set of rear wheel bearings from CBR, they happened to mention that all balls are the cheapest bearing you can get, material-wise. Their opinion for sure, but an all balls set of rear wheel bearings didn't work for me!

And they don't all come from korea as is evidenced by the (s-i-g-h) set of steering head bearings I just got from a local shop for my SC700. They are from all balls..marked as being from china. As soon as I find out if they actually FIT in the oem-ball-bearing head, I'll be ordering by the numbers from CBR.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Originally posted by KelvinKDX

Yes - but i think his issue was with wear/corrosion with the bearing races or cups.

I hear you but pointing out that there are other options than factory parts. I guess where do you think that Kawi is getting parts? In the orient some place there. So going to a parts store you have some selection.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Yes it's usually easy enough to get bearings from an industrial supply house, but races and seals are another matter which is why the kits are appealing. The Pivot Works kit is already on order (around $50) so I'll give it the Northeast Torture Test.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I've got All-Balls too. But as long as they look better than these in the pic when I check 'em, that would be ok.... ;)

Attachments

• headbearing.jpg
    headbearing.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 256
Top Bottom