00 CR250 - Suspension Settings for trails and track, and some N00b questions

Fade-Dude

Jan 2, 2014
Hey Guys. New here.

I recently had the luck of acquiring a 00 CR250. The bike feels REALLY good mechanically, but I think I need to dial in the suspension.

I used to fiddle with superbike track day racing etc, and although I have had the odd scrambler here and there, this is my first "real" mx bike. I would like to "reset" the suspension, and then dial them if for my weight and riding.

I am going to adjust to the default suspension settings, but I have some questions below.

Here goes:

I have set the sag to 100mm. (Only did the rear, should I do something to the front?) (The bike is quite high)

I have not done anything to the front. (as above, should I?)

What is the considered default rider weight? I am about 95kg's (209lbs). What should be adjusted, in which direction, to compensate for my weight?

I do trail riding, and some mx track riding. (some jumps, tight turns etc) (No James Stewart type stuff, but I do about 10-12 meter (40ft) jumps currently, and mediocre lap times :-) )

Can I have a suspension setting working for both the trails and track? (Given I am not a hard core racer?)

What tyre pressures should I run?

On top speed, the rear is very loose. (Some sideways wiggly action. When I let off some throttle, it stabilizes), is this purely because the wheel still "spins" in 5th gear :-) ?

Considering the above point, this tank that is my CR250, just spins the rear wheel whenever you go WOT. Even in 5th.

- I suspect it might be geared with a larger back sprocket. Is that why its digging holes in 5th? (Has very nice low end power, which I like)
- Is this a suspension setting that prevents me from getting traction?
- Is this bike just that much of a badass that it spins the rear wheel all the way through to 5th?

On the track, I need to really choose "higher" gears in order not to spin my rear wheel all over the place and get some traction. Is this normal, and is it a technique to get it right?

I am 31, and not looking to start an MX career, but I would like to get the bike setup to its full potential, and use it to tame my inner beast very now and again.

Thanks so much for any info you guys can provide.

Cheers!

Last edited:

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
Always a good idea to take a closer look when dealing with an older bike.
Take your swing arm out and re-grease or repair those needle bearings. That should undo your wiggle ability :) Linkage I'd do the same. Those needle bearings need frequent lubrication with a good firm and sticky grease.

With 95kg doing offroad your bike should suit you. Offroad settings are way plusher then MX. As for the track you need to adjust your springs for your weight.

Happy riding

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
-get a good rear tire, i suggest a allterrain tire, i air mine up close to max so i never pinch tubes and i get great traction, i dont like flats and to low air pressure the tire will roll over and suck to ride
sounds like "typical" good running cr250, i dont know what you want ppl to say about the suspension -1-compression/2-rebound those are your settings if you want more get heavy duty springs, and go from there, if you need new for seals you can change the oil then, and use a lil heavier weight oil, as for the rear you need to take it to a shop
i would suggest setting them both at the half way spot and start there,if it is to bouncy adjust it, dont sweat the sag stuff

Top Bottom