pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Hi im looking to buy a 125. First i was thinking of a '96 kx125 or something in that year range then i was thinking maybe i should buy a 98-99.. now im looking on a 00 rm125 from a guy know a bit. He said it had less than 3 hours on it and it may be right cause i really looked new, still stock rear tire.

If anyone out there have owned or still owns this bike, what you think about it? Personally i havent liked the suzukis, dont know why but it can be all the talk about them being not as good as honda/yamaha. But i think thats all talk, i dont think there is really any big differences on the brands today. However i dont like the look of it but i think its the strange radiator shruds thats the problem, maybe i can fit a yamaha shud or just make a little plastic surgery.

88blaster

Jul 24, 2002
I was looking just like you and felt the same about suzukies. I ended up with a 2000 125 with about 10 hours on it for $2,000. With so few hours and a great price I went for it. I have found the clutch is grabby during starts - others have had similar problem. Shifts are butter smooth. Others have said the fork seals are prone to leaking. Mine haven't.
I was looking for the best deal and wasn't brand loyal. I am real happy with the RM. I am slightly partial to KX's but stayed away from the 125 because I have heard from several people that most Kawe's have thin nicasil coatings on the cylender walls and will require re-coating sooner than other brands. I agree with Marcusgunby's post... Hope that helps!

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
The 00 RM125 is a nice enough bike. My friend Brian has one so I've had lots of time to ride and work on it. The bike has some funny shrouds to them, they are fairly wide and curve sort of outwards from the bottom to the top.

The engine is fairly nice, it's easy to work on. It's a single spar frame and everything is spaced out well in the pilots compartment. It's thin and feels really light and carves the turns very well.

It's a good fun bike, I would get it.

Lee W.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
What i wanted first was a 99 or 00 cr125. But all ads say like "10 hours only..new piston sprockets, and more" Then i ask myself, why the hell is the sprockets on a 125 bike changed after only 10 hours? I have plenty more hours on my sprockets on my 250 and it doesnt need to change. Often on as new bikes as 01 or 02 they also say new cylinder and piston. Thats really make me wonder. How fast does a modern cylinder wear out? I have hard to believe it only last 10 or 20 hours. Either they lie its new or they have ****ed it up with dirt or too little oil.

I dont think i can find a bike that have been ridden so little yet so old. Maybe a 03 model but then i have to pay $1500 more and i dont think it will be 50% better. No i think this is a killer deal. If its still left next payday(11 days to go) i'll buy it!

GMX

Jul 23, 2002
i dont think it will be 50% better.

Pretty close. My freind had a 2000 RM125 and were pretty much the exact same riders and my bike(2003 Rm125) handles better, smother shifts, faster, jumps nicer, looks nicer, better rims, better bottom end, e.t.c....But go for it, im not stoping you

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Originally posted by GMX

Pretty close. My freind had a 2000 RM125 and were pretty much the exact same riders and my bike(2003 Rm125) handles better, smother shifts, faster, jumps nicer, looks nicer, better rims, better bottom end, e.t.c....But go for it, im not stoping you

You cant believe a 03 is 50% better than a 00. I dont even think a 03 is 50% better than a 1980's bike.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
Suzukis are great bikes. Usually when ads say "5 hours" or something like that they are saying how long it has been since the top end (piston, rings) have been changed, not total elapsed time for the bike as a whole. This id how "fresh" the top end is. I'm partial to Suzukis but right now own Hondas. I hope to change back to RMs though.

Top Bottom