'00 RM80 - Water all over inside the engine

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
My wife got a used RM80 and the third run out on it it started bogging out. I let it cool off and I checked the radiator...empty. I filled it up and got it running. It ran good for about 10 minutes and then repeat issue. We decided to put it away and bring it home. I filled the radiator again and fired it up to see where it was leaking. The bike ran great, but water was spraying violently from the head. I shut it down....get this, the head nuts were completely loose!!! I bought this bike used from a shop too. Three of the nuts could be removed by hand, and one was on the verge of coming off.

Anyway. I pulled the engine off the frame, removed the head and cylinder, and turned it upside down over a bucket. Seriously, about 16-20 oz. of water came out of the engine. Mostly from the clutch side. There was some water in the crank portion. I then pulled the clutch cover and saw that water and oil had mixed. I have the engine upside down still to get it all drained and ordered all replacement seals. I was wondering what people thought I should do to get it lubed back up? Should I spray something in the crankcase to displace any leftover water? Should I dump a little 2 cycle oil in the crank? Surprisingly, every bearing is still good and it turns over beautifully. Nothing is seized.

Can you believe this bike ran great with that much water in it?? Damn!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Fultoncm said:
My wife got a used RM80 and the third run out on it it started bogging out. I let it cool off and I checked the radiator...empty. I filled it up and got it running. It ran good for about 10 minutes and then repeat issue. We decided to put it away and bring it home. I filled the radiator again and fired it up to see where it was leaking. The bike ran great, but water was spraying violently from the head. I shut it down....get this, the head nuts were completely loose!!! I bought this bike used from a shop too. Three of the nuts could be removed by hand, and one was on the verge of coming off.

Anyway. I pulled the engine off the frame, removed the head and cylinder, and turned it upside down over a bucket. Seriously, about 16-20 oz. of water came out of the engine. Mostly from the clutch side. There was some water in the crank portion. I then pulled the clutch cover and saw that water and oil had mixed. I have the engine upside down still to get it all drained and ordered all replacement seals. I was wondering what people thought I should do to get it lubed back up? Should I spray something in the crankcase to displace any leftover water? Should I dump a little 2 cycle oil in the crank? Surprisingly, every bearing is still good and it turns over beautifully. Nothing is seized.

Can you believe this bike ran great with that much water in it?? Damn!

WD40 -- Water Displacement Try Number 40.... It works great.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
take the cylinder off and run oil through it.. get as much coolent as ya can out of it. because as ya know water doesn't combust ;)

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
What type of oil should I run in it? 2 cycle or 80/90w gear oil? I've got the clutch and gears pretty much taken care of, so my main concern at this point is inside the black hole of the crank and connecting rod. My guess was to spray it down with WD40, then dump a little 2 cycle oil in there and crank it by hand. Finally, turn it over and let the oil drain back out. Thoughts??

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
if it was me i would first dump 10w30 into the crank area and let it set over night in there. then in the morning dump it out and pour another 10w30 and swish it around just to make sure that is clean. then fill the tranny with 10w30 and let it sit. then dump it and put in more but this time leave the plug out so it drains through. then you should be set.

Top Bottom