Bigdogdaddy69

Feb 18, 2008
Well today i went on a grease and cleaning spree i greased up all wheel bearings swingarm bearings and tried to do some of the linkage. My question is on the one part of the linkage the bearings were gone and all thats left in the hole is like washers that seemed to be holding the needles in. My question is do those come out? and if so how should i do it

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Time for linkage bearings my friend..

Do the whole thing as a set..

There is an outer race, needles, inner race seals and those washer looking parts you're talking about.

You'll need to press out the outer races..

It's not hard to do, but it does take time and patience to get it done.

It'll be a whole new bike when you get it all done though.

Bigdogdaddy69

Feb 18, 2008
ya that happend to me on my old kx 80 back in the day. the bearing was gone and it made a hole in the linkage i had to replace the whole thing.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Try redoing the picture, this time move away enough so that your camera can focus. Brighter light too!!!

It's impossible to tell with the focus that blown..

Bigdogdaddy69

Feb 18, 2008
well i cant seem to upload to the dam picture site i was using. But i guess i could ask if that hole should be smooth all the way through. it starts of smooth then goes up a level in thickness and at the end goes down.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Here's the pics he emailed me, I cropped and resized so they'd fit...

All of the links I have seen had a completely smooth bore.

Is that the inner race still in the bore of the link? Sorta looks like it to me.

Attachments

• linkage 001.jpg
    linkage 001.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 152
  • linkage 002.jpg
    linkage 002.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 143

Bigdogdaddy69

Feb 18, 2008
no not yet. i plan 2 soon. I was planning on just regreasing everything and **** started falling apart and dont have any cash that i can spend

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Well, that will tell you quite a bit.. If the new bearing races seem way too big to fit into that inner part, then it's likely that that is the old inner race.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I dissemble my bikes and grease then up before they get there first ride. My friends think in nuts but it's worked well for me since day one. I generally clean and grease the linkage at least twice a year. I used to use Bel Ray water proof grease but it doesn't hold up as well as Mobil1 red wheel bearing grease.

It diffidently looks like the race is gone. Generally you would use a small pick and get them out, soak them in gas, wash out the linage, pack the linkage with grease and reassemble.

Good luck with the project, try this link:

http://www.pivotworks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cProducts.view&productid=1244

I've helped a few friends with this product in the past, theirs were just rusty, yours are gone...

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
That inner piece needs to be pressed out. I broke two vises (sp?) trying to get out the ones on my 01yz250. I had to take it to the shop. They said it was really frozen and they had to apply quite a bit of pressure to get it out. New bearings went in fine after that. A bearing kit is the best, cheapest way to go.

Those lower yz linkage bearings tend to get dirty fast. I need to start greasing mine more, since they are fairly easy to get to.

Bigdogdaddy69

Feb 18, 2008
i also have another Question. The other bearings are in good shape no play and are all in one piece can i just get the bearings needed for that side?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Bigdogdaddy69 said:
i also have another Question. The other bearings are in good shape no play and are all in one piece can i just get the bearings needed for that side?

Best to just get the set, and replace the whole thing at one time.

This way you are 100% certain of the condition and won't be doing it again anytime soon.

The Pivot Works set is probably roughly the same price as all of the pieces of that one bearing that you need to replace, if you buy OEM.

Top Bottom