9guy

Feb 29, 2008
Can someone tell me if there is a company that sells cdi's for less than the OEM. I have bought two used ones and had no luck. I have replaced my stator and it ohms within spec. and has output. I have also replaced the coil(didn't need to but oh' well). I really need to get my son's bike running again. This for an 01' YZ 80

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
what are the symptoms? perhaps its not really a cdi problem but a stator problem. actually stator problems seem to be much more prevalent than cdis from my experience on the little bikes.

9guy

Feb 29, 2008
The stator was the first thing I replaced and the ohms are in spec. per the manual. I also moved the kickstarter and did see some output ,so I guess it's good. I even bought an analog meter to see if I could see a blip of the needle and had no luck. Keep the input coming guys :cool:

9guy

Feb 29, 2008
I have bought a brand new CDI unit for this bike and still have no spark. Can anyone tell me what the stator should be putting out? Ohms are in spec. I don't know WTF to do I have replaced everything except for the flywheel. This little thing has become a major pain. PLEASE HELP me out on this one.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
the stator will put out pulsed DC. best to see it if you have an analog needle type meter so your on the right track. most digital ones will only flicker when you kick it over. they might read some low DC voltage but its not much. <30V and not enough period to light a test light. you should see a pulse every time the magnet goes by the stator. are you measuring with everything else unhooked? just across the stator when kicking?

How about the kill switch. I have seen them shorted internally keeping a bike from sparking. even seen one that would only short when you sat on the bike because of a missing spring inside. just unhook the kill switch and then check spark.
Also the coil Not often but I've seen them go bad once in a while. Also the plug wire connection at the coil and at the plug cap. The cap unscrews from the wire and the wire usually unscrews from the coil.

Have access to a gauss meter? You'd need one to check the flywheel but I've never seen a bad one that had not come apart.

9guy

Feb 29, 2008
Thanks for the input Jasle. I have not replaced the plug cap yet ,but I did ohmed, it and it seems high but then again I don't know what one should read so maybe I'll buy one of those. It's just so rediculous that this thing has gotten me the way it has given the amount of major engine work I do on street bikes.

Top Bottom