tracy harman

Apr 23, 2002
my 02 cr250 has a bad habit of not wanting to shift most of the time from 4th to 5th gear. sometimes i will do it from 3rd to 4th but not very often. this has burned me on the start severel times and is very frustrating. i have switched from running gear saver to mobil1 and it seemed to help slightly but it still exist. i tried to do a search with no luck. theres got to be some thing i can do to fix this part of the tranny thats haning up. this is my 2nd 02cr and the last one i had did it to.

Scott Tseu

Aug 27, 2003
Is this a common problem with the '02 cr's? I have one too, and I just got the bottom and top end rebuilt because the main rod bearing was shot. Anyway, after the mechanic put the bike back together and started it up, he noticed it wouldn't shift. Previous to that I did notice sometimes it would jump out of gear, or not want to upshift. I don't race or anything, so I don't think its anything I could've done. I use the Honda cr transmission oil which I change often, and the HP2 oil in my gas. I'm beginning to think I bought a lemon.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Yes this is a Honda bugaboo. The tranny has a hard time shifting under load. The only thing I found to help was a longer shifter and keep fresh synthetic oil in it. When I say fresh I mean change often. I do mine about once a month which is usually two maybe three rides. You would be amazed how black the oil is in that short of time.

tracy harman

Apr 23, 2002
my last 02 lost the main bearing also, so far this one has held up. both of them will sometimes miss a shift but the worst problem is going down that start straight and you cant catch that next gear. i have found if you short shift it will help but i cant ever seem to do this charging to the first corner. i have also found if you can catch some rough ground while holding up on lever it will somtimes releive enough pressure to let it shift

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
The best cure I found when I had a cr125 was to run 20w50 oil in the tranny and change it often. You will notice right away the bike shift very easy and you won't miss shifts anymore. The only drawback on 20w50 is the bike has to be warm at operating temperature for it to shift smoothly.

When using 10w40, the smooth range was the opposite. The bike shifts well when cold but when it gets warm after half a lap, the shifter gets stubborn.

Switch to 20w50!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Interesting idea seb-ive never tried a 20W50, ive got some texaco 15w40 but it makes my KX shift very notchy-shame as i got a few gallons cheap.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
my 02 cr250 was a little stiff on shifting until i put an aftermaket shift lever (steel) that was for a 95 cr250 i used the one for the 95 because my friend has a 95 and i noticed the shift lever was about 1" longer (when i say longer i mean longer from the peg to the tip not sticking out to the side)on his bike (aftermaket steel i think it was an ims lever) than the stock on on mine witch gave me a lot more leverage when shifting not to mention it is way easer to get your boot under the bike shifts MUCH better than it did when i got it. shifting never enters my mind now i just shift and it shifts no problums.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Originally posted by marcusgunby
...I've got some texaco 15w40 but it makes my KX shift very notchy-shame as i got a few gallons cheap.
Hi Marcus, Did you find it makes a difference on the KX wether the bike is warm or cold? When I got my 03CR250 I assumed the problem was solved and tried the recommended 10w40. The oil was good for about 3 laps before I found myself fighting with the shifter. I went back to 20w50 and it lasts longer, but still no more than 3 thank full. I'm open to suggestions, what oil are you using?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Not sure about when it was cold but as it got warm it was bad at shifting-the best stuff was what came in it when delivered-it shifted very smooth.I now use ATF F and its average at shifting-not bad but not great-the bikes gone however as Zentith now has bought it.It will be missed as it was a good bike.I change my oil every 2 rides no matter which oil i use.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom