03 CR250 motor mods, Eric Gorr 10/21/02

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
OK, I am doing a good thing and tomorrow, I am sending out my 02 CR250 to EG for the "Mo-better" package. I will post back results and over-all opinion if you guys are interested. I was going possibly go w/ the 03 CR250, but except for the cylinder and some other stuff, it sounds from the write ups to be a pumped up 02. Well, for under $200, I figured what the heck, ya know? I know it is kinda late to be doing this, but I just got the bike and I'm sure I can get my pumped up 02 to run remotely close to a stock 03, maybe even better! The 03 has the same susp and frame, so we will see!!! If you guys have heard enough about the 02, let me know- :aj:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by Jman271
OK, I am doing a good thing and tomorrow, I am sending out my 02 CR250 to EG for the "Mo-better" package. I will post back results and over-all opinion if you guys are interested.

yes, please do! :thumb:

RemeberMe

Jun 26, 2001
Please let me know what your feelings are! I'd be interested, I have an '02 myself :cool: !

What all is included in the 'mo better' package and how much did it set you back?

Thanks,
Andrew

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I am so mad!!! My wife just called, I am at work and my jug just showed up!!! I want go home so bad and put it together!!! I will post back when it goes together,,,hopfully tonight!!! The mo better was more power everywhere, from roll on all the way up. We will see, but from what I hear, the only way to go is w/ EG.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
jman....dont get overly excited and rush the job! We dont want to have to wait another few weeks for the report for a silly reason like dropping the clips in the bottom end!:);)

ten deep breaths dude!

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
OK, one word,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WOW! OK, I'll try to describe what is going on.

First, the appearance- The base and head were cut, I don't know how much, but looking at the base of the cylinder, a considerable amount, I'm gonna guess @ .030. All the surfaces were done very even and professionally, and the head squish was recessed and looked like factory finish. The transfer bridges as well as the exhaust bridges seemed to have a knife edge to them, and looked great. The rest of the ports were cleaned up of casting flaws, however based on talk of the town, has little to do w/ performance, and the most of the improvements are from the new port heights and squish clearance. All the edges looked chamfered and even. The power valves looked cleaned but un-modified. The edges of the exhuast port looked tapered and profiled to match the new deck height. All in all a very good looking and proffesional job as I have ever seen.

Next, how it runs- Like a scalded ape!!! It fired up 1st kick, pulls off the bottom sweet, idles like a tractor, or more like a CR500, the mid-range feels to pull longer,and the top end revs to the moon. It feels like my 00 CR250, but w/ more "oomph". It was by far the best money I have spent on the motor. I will post a full moto report as most of the riding done was in my backyard trails, but this things sounded very crisp, and ripped.
The down side- the only thing that was wrong w/ the s/h was that when I unbagged the jug and head, it was filled w/ a lot of water. I pulled the head off, and allot ran down inside the pwr-valves and the ports and stuff. I had to blast it out w/ air and clean it before installation. No biggie, but in the past, I have gotten back the goodies ready to install. I think it was an oversight and after the porting, it was washed fine, but never blasted w/ air.
I have to say that overall I am very happy w/ the product and price. I am also, very happy w/ EG's service. He said I would have it for Fri night and it was there as promised. He also said he would 2 day it, but the label said red, urget, next day. So I think he may have shipped it late, but still stuck to his word. I have been sponsored by a lot of engine tuners, FMF, PA, etc,,,and have not paid for a motor job in a long time. I actually had(and still have) the opportunity to go w/ another outfit for zero, but elected to go into pocket for EG. I am not sponsored by him in anyway,(how could he anyway, he doesn't charge enough as it is), but thought I would post what I really thought about my experience and product. I also appreciate having a site like this where we can log on, talk shop and learn stuff. So EG, thank you-
Jman271 02 CR250 set up for hardcore MX
EG mo better, worth every penny
PC pipe and shorty
14/48 gearing(stock)
V-Force on Low
Leaner needle, 1st position(I will post the # when I log on next, I'm at work and don't have the #)
370 main
32.5 pilot
1/1.5 turns out on the a.s.
BR8EGVX .024 gap
Twin-Air filter
PC racing seal
Red-line water wetter
VPC-12, 50/50 w/ Maxima blue, @ 32:1
ps, the best part was also on top of the jug, there was a teenie weenie little jman stamped on it, how cool,,,,

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
jman....if what the mags were saying about the 02 not having enough bottom is true, it sounds like the remedy is to lower the port timing to boost the lo to mid (i am still very much learning, but this is how i understand it!:)), amongst other things.

did you notice epoxy in the transfers....my low to mid YZ job had quite a bit....it also had a lot of material removed from the intake and boost but what looked like very little (just cleaning) on the exhaust side of things.......dont you just love that crisp new top end feeling.

hopefully eric will chime in at some point and explain how/why the mods work.....this sort of thread makes good reading

enjoy it dude!

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I didn't notice any epoxy, but he could have done it, and then ground it down to a smoother finish, like what is stock inside the port window. In other words, if he did epoxy, I couldn't tell where the blend was. The stock motor had no low end, this big climb through the mid w/a short burst of power near the mid-top, then it goes to the top end, falls off the pipe and the power goes away. There was some good power in there, just a very small window to harness it as usable. It was kinda hard to ride. EG mods def helped it everywhere. I am new to the port timing thnig as well, but I am learing very quickly.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
When you specified your options, did you tell him you used race gas. I'm gettting my jug done by Eric in early January, but refuse to use race gas.

Erik

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Yeah, I gave him a little info sheet along w/ his printable order form. I rode the bike moto style today, but it was real lean and it ran like $hit. I was in the middle of nowhere, w/ no tools, jets, etc,,,I got home, raised the needle, it got better, but still felt like it was going flat on top,(lean). The bottom end and mid is almost viloent when you stab the clutch. It really has some nut to it now. I almost looped it big time. I think that to get a bit more top, I will go w/ a PC regular, or the stock silencer to get some of the top back. The low end and mid is so powerful now, it seems to over shadow the top. I have plenty of low/mid to spare if it is a trade off, but I don't think it will be. If I can't get just a tad more top back w/ the stock silencer, maybe I will drop the gearing to 14/47, or just short shift it, like I did today, it was like a 500. It will pull 2nd/3rd gear starts w/ no problem w/ my 200lb frame. I am very happy w/ the job over-all. Now I just have to get it to run a bit better. :aj:

Rumz

Oct 13, 2002
i had e.g. do my 02 cr250 with mo-better with race fuel. just got back from riding at our practice track. THIS THING ROCKS!!! it comes on the pipe sooner and pulls real hard ,it doesn't seem to stop pulling!! very fast! my bike is all stock except for the mo-better. current jetting is
390 main
32.5 pilot
stock needle second from top
s8 nozzle
E.G. is the way tog go! good price, good performance!

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I think I have to go up on the main a few more, I have a 370 in there, it still feels lean, but I don't have any more to put it. I'm going to the bike shop today to get a 380, 390, 400. I think w/ the PC pipe and V-Force is making it on the lean side. Where are you located? Your not kidding, these mods make the bike rip. You should try it w/ some pipe/reeds, I can't hold on!!!

Rumz

Oct 13, 2002
im in va. mine is real crisp. im gonna play with jetting some too. maybe gonna put the s9 nozzle back in or bigger main! yea im getting my arms stretched out now!! LOL

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Today I put in a 380 and the stock silencer, and man oh man, this thing pulls from the moment I crack the throttle. I think this is all she has for top right now w/o getting into gearing etc,,,but I'll know what she really has for top end when I go to Southwick.

jts

Jan 6, 2002
Has anyone ported or modified an 03 cr250 yet? Anybody tried a Vforce reed valve on an 03?? I hope to get more low and mid power with bolt-on's for now, but may try porting if I can't get the results I'm looking for.

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
For the $$$ I spent w/ EG, I have never had such a dramatic in-crease in power and performance. Send him your cylinder and head and be done w/ it. The V-Force is $148, a pipe is $180, etc,,,you get the pic. For the $155,(included s/h), it is amazing.

strublized

Oct 16, 2002
Hello, Jman271, any new updates on your mo-power mod. I also have a 2002 CR250 and am thinking of doing the same. The only thing I am worried about is race gas. What is race gas and where to you get it? I use the highest pump gas and would like to keep using pump gas. I am a C rider and looking to improve my off the line performace. Any more info would be appreciated. I live in Michigan and it is now cold here, so I am thinking of ways to make my bike better. Hope spring comes sooner rather than later.

Regards,
Matt

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I also have a couple of questions. Do you think it would be better if you went for a little more top end when you got the porting done and let the pipe and reed valve take care of the bottom end. Maybe also change the gearing to a 49 tooth sprocket. It seems with my bike I'm always losing top end but in the same sentence sometimes I could use just a tad more bottom. I'm sending out my jug in the middle of January, still a couple more races left here in Colorado. I would like to know your opinion Jman. Also the race gas option is a big one. I think I'm going to go with race gas if does improve performance. Thank you for the nice post on your engine performance.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Also one other question Jman did you have any problems with your head stays not lining up, due to the milled head.

Erik
2002 cR250

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Bedell99, I have had NO problems lining up the head at all when she went back together. All of the machine work was done very nice w/ no burs or notchy feeling anything, it went together perfectly, dowel pins and all,(head and base). As far as gearing goes and "If I would do it again", w/ EG, no question about it, he has all my future work. The most amount of power that I did feel came from low end to mid, it is very powerful. The top feels good too, but the biggest gain I felt was w/ low to mid, which is much needed on that bike as you know. EG did tell me that there was also another step to the mod that he elected not to do on mine, that would have given more top also, but I'm glad he did what he did. It is easier to ride this way, it is border-line explosive right now. As far as gearing, if I go to a 49,(1 up from stock) it will pull probably even better through lower gears, but I will lose top speed. I have heard some guys have gone down to a 47 on this bike and it actually works. There was a big write up on a TMR bike in one of the mags that had 14/47 gearing and they loved it. I have since gone to the stock silencer for long tracks, and the shorty for tight stuff and I can def tell the diff. Race gas is the only way to go on this bike, but I cut it 50/50 w/ 94 oct to keep the price down per gallon w/ no problems or detonation. I may end up w/ 14/47 w/ the shorty all the time, but I will have to wait for x-mas for a rear sprocket. No biggie, she tears my arms out the way it is now.
BTW, Where is CO are you? I was in Glenwood Springs and missed the Southwick National in June, but had a big scare when we were there,,,,,,,,,,the wild fires!!! We got evacuated from the Best View Inn, right on the river, man was it scary. Do you know the Gray family from Glenwood Springs? Post back-

fastwes

Nov 29, 2000
I just did three 03 CR250 (and two Cr125s) for team Tamer Billet MX for Arenacross. Their rider Justin Brayton made the podium at Des Moines. Not bad for a team that didn't exist 2 months ago! Justin and the other rider David Oettel feel the CR 250s are too fast but are getting used to them. The 125s need a little more bottom power but are usable. I had the 125 cylinders(and no spares to run on the dyno) only for a day so there is lots more power AND powerband width available. We'll be working on that soon. After the 2nd race in Albany wher he didn't do quite as well Justin is still tied in 10th place but is the HIGHEST placing Honda rider.
Wes Gilbert
Boyesen Precision Porting
wesjg@aol.com

Top Bottom