'03 YZ85....can't find 5th or 6th gear... HELP!!!

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Just bought my son an '03 YZ85 in super mint condition. I bought it from a guy who bought it as a first bike for his 10yr old. Needless to say it was waaaaay too much bike for an inexperienced 10yr old. My son's 11 and went to the YZ85 from an XR100....anyway I'm rambling.. The bike was hardly ridden and well maintaned so I can't think of any reason I can't hit 5th gear. It runs excellent, it's just only giving me 4 gears. Any ideas ??? :blah:

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
Bent shifter fork or there's a bad notch in the shifter drum? I'm throwing darts :laugh:

I'd get a manual and take a look at the shifter mechanism (without splititng the case)

Or

Send it to a mechanic.

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
That was along my line of thinking also, but that wouldn't be possible if the bike has only had 2 tanks of gas ran through it driving circles around a half an acre lot....unless the guy was full of it. I really don't think so, there isn't a scratch on the bike, the tires have zero wear, and it just runs SO GOOD!!! I have the manual and all the paperwork, factory decal kit, everything that came with it. I agree though, I'm gonna bring it to "my guy" who isn't cheap, but is damn good, fast, and minutes from home. I'm still open to any other ideas....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom