04 CRF 250...let it sit just a little too long...

MX Mac

~SPONSOR~
May 18, 2001
Like a re'tard, I let my CRF 250 sit for almost 2 years in the garage. (not properly winterized) I want to ride some this spring, so I want to get it ready. (I bought it new in 2004)
I tried my best to search and I found a couple of answers about where to start, but i have a couple more questions and need some expert opinions.

To start, I drained the gas, drained the carb, and upon further inspection into the carb drain plug opening, I noticed something that didn't look quite right with the main jet.

Carb Pic
http://crfmxpics.shutterfly.com/pictures/10#10

Bottom of the Bowl...
http://crfmxpics.shutterfly.com/pictures/10#9

It's green? Ethanol residue/remains? What a disaster...

Obviously I need to clean the heck out of the carb, float, clean replace ALL jets, wire brush scrub the green off etc..., that is underway.

Also I will def do the normal engine oil/tran oil, oil filter, air filter, plug, check valve clearances etc.

After that I believe I should need to lube the wheel bearings, swing-arm linkage, etc...other than that what else has to be done?

What should I use to clean the gas tank? The old fuel smelled really bad...really weird and bad. The fuel filter also disintegrated, it's like gone..so that is on it's way too. (I actually snapped the fuel hose while removing it, so I am replacing all the lines and breather hoses)

Should I, or do I have to:
Lube the steering head?
Replace the radiator fluid?
Service the forks right away or can that wait? (Forks were fully serviced in 2010 when I blew a seal)

Any other advice?, Next time I will store it much better, or not let it sit so long. Gomer and TrueSpode are going to be very disappointed in this lack of maintenance...and yes, this is my first post since 2007...

Attachments

• bowl.JPG
    bowl.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 289
  • inside carb.JPG
    inside carb.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 538

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
MX Mac said:
It's green? Ethanol residue/remains? What a disaster...

Obviously I need to clean the heck out of the carb, float, clean replace ALL jets, wire brush scrub the green off etc..., that is underway.

You might want to go to the auto parts store and buy a gallon can of carburetor cleaner. Unfortunately, they don't sell the good stuff anymore, but it may still be of some benefit. Just be sure to remove anything that is rubber or plastic, don't put those in the cleaner. Especially the float valve.

You may want to order a new set of gaskets for the carb.

When you soak it, be sure to have all the jets removed. Stirr occasionally, and a couple times poke a fine wire through the jets to push out the gunk. I would let it soak over night.

After soaking, rinse in water. If you have compressed air blow air through all the passages to get any remaining cleaner and/or water out.

MX Mac said:
What should I use to clean the gas tank? The old fuel smelled really bad...really weird and bad.

Gas goes bad, and gets rancid, and yes, smells really REALLY bad. If you look at it in a clear jar it will probably be cloudy, with all sorts of stuff in it. This "stuff" is like a super fine powder. It is so fine it will get through fuel filters and then really mess up the carburetor.

I would remove the gas tank, drain it (dispose of the old gas properly). Then wash the tank out. I had this happen on a boat once, with a metal tank and I took the tank to a radiator shop and they steam cleaned it for me. I wouldn't recommend doing that with a plastic tank, so I would recommend cleaning it the best you can with soap and water, then rinse it with a little bit of gas, and dispose of that as well.

Be sure to clean the petcock, and I would replace any rubber fuel line.

Rod

Top Bottom