windyhill

Mar 31, 2004
Trail riding last weekend with my son on his xr50, and fouled the Iridium plug in the 04 kx250. Put in a $3.50 standard BR8ES, seems to be running fine. Anybody know if this is okay. Thanks, John

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Yeah i always go for the standard tip (es) plug. They charge me $20 for an Iridium one down here in aus and it don't last any longer. The BR8es is $3 so I just put a new one in for every ride and never have any problems.

Steve47

Nov 23, 2001
My iridium plug has been in my bike since last october!!! I just changed it for precaution. I replaced it with a BR8 EVX which is much better than the ES and cost around 8$ It's a cleaner burning plug.

If you jet your bike properly, you should not foul plug like that. Might want to check your reeds.

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
I've run BR7ES and BR8ES in my bike with no problem. I do quite a bit of idleing when I ride with my 5 year old so a little hotter plug is nice. I pay $1.79 or so at my local Auto Zone for my plugs. I also get my Mobil MX2T 2 stroke oil there for about $3.75 a pint.

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
From what I've heard the Iridium plug has a tang that is resistant to vibration and won't break off. The standard b8's etc could break off and do a lot of high $ damage to your engine!!! I know that they are pricey,but what is a engine rebuild worth? The factories must be protecting their engines with these plugs for some reason,don't you think.

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
I have heard of at least 2 bikes that I know of,1 kx 125 and 1 rm 125 exploding from a broken tang on a b8es or some other "ordinary" type plug.Apparently high rev's /vibration is the problem. Each bike gobbled up about $600 for the rebuild!! All of a sudden- $20 for the proper plug makes a bunch of sense! If you jet your bike correctly,you can run a long time on a sparkplug. Now this is NOT a vicious RUMOR that I'm starting on the net, hopefully just a bit of a "Heads UP " for people. Please do your own research,and come to your own conclusions.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
cactusreid said:
From what I've heard the Iridium plug has a tang that is resistant to vibration and won't break off. The standard b8's etc could break off and do a lot of high $ damage to your engine!!! I know that they are pricey,but what is a engine rebuild worth? The factories must be protecting their engines with these plugs for some reason,don't you think.

thats kind of false. the BR8EIX has the same tang (ground strap) as all the regular BR8 plugs and it will cause damage on some engines. I had a similar one go on my RM144- the strap falls off and ruins the piston and head and maybe the cylinder.

the plug you are talking about is the expensive one that comes stock on the RM125- you can buy them from www.sparkplugs.com for $20

however, you dont really need them on a 250 that is setup properly- any BR8 EG, ES, EIX plug will be fine

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
A word of warning, i had detonation on my 04rm125 for several months without knowing, the top of the piston and head were eaten away badly but the 8 month old std rm plug was ok-this compared to a cheapo plug that lasted 2 rides in my detonating 03kx125-just proves to me these expensive plugs are worth far more than the initial costs.

Attachments

• 01010011 (Small).JPG
    01010011 (Small).JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 01010009 (Small).JPG
    01010009 (Small).JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 01010007 (Small).JPG
    01010007 (Small).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 80

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
Hey Guy's: what is the part # for the expensive (RM 144) plug. Is it the vibration resistant plug? Inquiring minds what to know. I would rather buy a pricy plug than a pricy engine!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom