2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Starting in '03, the RM's have incredible power. Mine had a violent hit when getting into the mid-range. I've heard the 04's do too, though not quite as extreme. Mine has had motor work done to make it friendlier, and pump-gas worthy, since I'm a woods rider. If yours is pretty much stock (no cylinder work done) I would stick with stock gearing. (13-49) Or even gear it UP if you can...(lose 1 or 2 teeth on rear). Adding teeth to the rear will make the hit even more "arm pumping"!! Even at over 200 pounds, your RM will not be short of the power you need. Of coarse, I'm prejudice, but I've owned all the Japanese brands... and I find Suzuki as one sweet ride. If you're an Mxer you may want to stiffen up the suspension, but if riding trails or woods, it should be close "as-is". Have fun!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Oh, sorry.......I do know my 03 was 13/49 stock. Some of the ultra-high-performance factory bikes actually gear to the equivilent of a 13/48. (By going 14/52). I think the thought there is, bigger countershaft helps with less chain drag, better rear suspension action and one thing I know for sure, longer countershaft sprocket life.

harley_muddy

Sep 23, 2004
Motolink,
I'm an ex-racer who's coming back to MX after 25 years off(60 lbs. heavier @ 250).I felt like the bike was geared way too low for me and dropping 2 teeth on the rear made 2nd gear much more useful(pulls much longer) on the track.It also made the power seem a little smoother.I think Motocross Action magazine had an article late last year on a '04 RM250 project bike that was running a 14 tooth front sprocket(which they felt was a little tall).I like the taller (13/48 vs.13/50)gearing much better than stock.It's a very inexpensive change that made the bike feel more suitable for me.

Top Bottom