04 RM-Z 250 Just how bad are these bikes?

JustinCT

Mar 23, 2007
I did as much searching and reading as possible to get info on the 04 model year rmz250's. My close friend works at a suzuki dealership and picked this bike up last year from a vet rider. The bike has a ton of **** on it.. Factory Connection Suspension, FMF powerbomb header and pipe, power now... the list goes on and on. The bike was brought into the dealership last year with serious motor problems. Ended up having most of the upper end replace...now has fresh valves, pro-circuit springs, fresh piston, etc... all with about 6 hours of riding time on them. The bike also has oversized radiators. It's in beautiful condition...appearance wise, and seems to run great. I can get it for $2500. Regardless of whether it's a good deal, great deal, whatever...are these bikes a complete basket case that'll cost me a ton of money over the course of a season or are they reliable with routine maintenance? I'm meticulous about maintenance, and I don't mind the extra time involved with a 4-stroke...just don't want to buy a time bomb. These bikes seem to get a bad rep and I'm just looking to see if it's true, or just because people don't care for them the way that they should. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Justin

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
You know you can get some good ones.

A buddy got one back in 04. We tore that thing down, greased everything and check the valves, jetted it etc. Then rode the PISS out of the bike for 2 years. Always keeping fresh fluids in the bike and clean air filters. After 3 years finally had to do the first valve adjustment and install a new piston.

So you can get some good ones. but like any used bike really go over the thing with a magnifying glass! IF the bike has had previous issues, I would really ask about who did the motor work. If the local shop did it, then probably any flaws in the motor have not been corrected. Just bandaided.

JustinCT

Mar 23, 2007
Ya I read through that thread a good bit. I bought the bike and it's awesome. It runs great, starts very easily when warm or cold. I spoke with some other form RMZ owners and they had no problems seeing as they maintained their bikes as needed. I'm very happy with the bike and after talking to a lot of people that maintain their bikes appropriately, I'm confident that longevity will not be an issue.

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
kawicam250 said:
MXA has lost a lot of its reputation over the past couple years, most people hate them now. besides, you cant fully trust any mag these days.

Maybe so, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and in this case, MXA is right on time.

Top Bottom