ndiego124

Dec 12, 2007
there is something wrong with my bike and i cannot figure it out. I just got a FMF sst pipe put on and got a powercoreII on there with it I just took it in to get rejetted for the pipe. It ran absolutely wonderful the first day i got it back. Washed the bike went to take it out and "air dry" it and was just cruzin 5th nearly pinned and it just started to bog out. Sounded like it wasnt getting gas to the engine fast enough which is understandable. But then it just stalled out and wouldnt kick back over. Thought it wasnt getting enough air in so cleaned the filter and changed the spark plug still nothing.... wont even kick over doesnt sound like its even going to kick over..........

so i ask someone WHATS THE PROBLEM!!!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
When you say kick over do you mean there is no compression or it won't even sound like it will fire?

1st, check the plug and see if it is wet.
2nd, check for spark

If you are getting spark then check the reeds.

I had a bad set of v-force reeds on my 93 WR250 once and it had the same symptoms.

Ivan

Var

Nov 5, 2007
you were "cruisin" top of 5th nearly pinned?

were you at WOT or close to redline for a long time?

did you warm the bike up before you took it out?

how long did you ride before it bogged?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Sounds like a possible seizure.

ndiego124

Dec 12, 2007
truespode said:
When you say kick over do you mean there is no compression or it won't even sound like it will fire?

1st, check the plug and see if it is wet.
2nd, check for spark

If you are getting spark then check the reeds.

I had a bad set of v-force reeds on my 93 WR250 once and it had the same symptoms.

Ivan

thanks i'll try that and like there is compression just no.... for lack of better term "umph"

Var said:
you were "cruisin" top of 5th nearly pinned?

were you at WOT or close to redline for a long time?

did you warm the bike up before you took it out?

how long did you ride before it bogged?

yeah i was at the top of 5th and it didnt sound like it was at redline yet but it was still getting up there and i did warm it up and i only rode for like less than five minutes. wents out of my neighborhood up the road and at the top of the road it just died.

everything just sort of locked up. started skidding so i pulled in the clutch thought it was gettin fuel again tried to ride out then it just died.

thanks for all the help if any more of this gives you an idea please let me know

todd36

Sep 3, 2007
It sounds like you have seized the piston and now the rings are stuck because the piston has "smeared" aluminum over the grooves. Can you give it a compression check and post that number. Did you jet it richer or leaner for the pipe?

ndiego124

Dec 12, 2007
todd36 said:
It sounds like you have seized the piston and now the rings are stuck because the piston has "smeared" aluminum over the grooves. Can you give it a compression check and post that number. Did you jet it richer or leaner for the pipe?

i'll check the compression and i dunno i took it in to get jetted i dont know what they did wtih it.

so if it did seized what could be the damnage?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Piston, rings, cylinder. Minimum..

Could also have damaged the bottom end.

Add to that a gasket set and the time and effort to fix it.

I'd get a service manual and learn how to work on the bike..

todd36

Sep 3, 2007
If it has seized you will need a new piston and rings. Hopefully your cylinder is okay. What you need to do is correct the problem before putting the new piston in. It may be the jetting, ignition timing or a vacuum leak. The FMF website has jetting specs for your bike, that is a good place to start. I do not know your altitude or outside temps but it is easier and cheaper to replace a fouled plug then a piston and rings

ndiego124

Dec 12, 2007
i've checked the FMF site they dont have anything for my year bike. Ill check it all out thanks for everyones help. if i find out anything more i'll let you know to see what i can do or to see if its something else...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
ndiego124 said:
yeah i was at the top of 5th and it didnt sound like it was at redline yet but it was still getting up there and i did warm it up and i only rode for like less than five minutes. wents out of my neighborhood up the road and at the top of the road it just died.

everything just sort of locked up. started skidding so i pulled in the clutch thought it was gettin fuel again tried to ride out then it just died.
First why were you riding it out of your neighborhood and up the road? That right there is stupid mistake number 1. If you have done it a bunch before your still in the wrong. But I digress... Next lets look at the comments. You "rode it for less than 5 mintues" you were "at the top of 5th" and "everything just sort of locked up". You my friend have at the minimum caused some badness to happen to the inside of your engine. Don't bother with the compression check go straight to disassembly or if you are not qualified take it to a mechanic who is and tell them what you did. Be honest, don't beat around the bush because it will help them know right away that they need to pull the cylinder and see just how bad things are. My guess is it is not pretty. I would also suggest getting Eric Gorr's book and read it to understand your bike better. It's possible the jetting is off but it is also VERY possible you did not have your bike warmed up enough and your little spin down the road combined with the less than warmed up engine and possibly lean new jetting caused a pretty significany siezure.

ndiego124

Dec 12, 2007
thanks for the help and i hope its not that bad. and i wasnt just riding in the road the desert is right down the street from my house and yes i know its a possibility it wasnt warm enough. i mean i did just wash it and it is winter so tahts probably what happened. i just hope its not as bad as your guessing it is. But thanks for your help anyways.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
derek the 2 stroke said:
Could it have been a hydrollic siezer?Ive just heard of this and wondered if it could cause this kinda problem?And sorry for spelling hydeollic siezier wrong.

I don't think that part actually exists...not on a dirt bike anyway.

You can avoid reality and start a frantic hunt for your bikes hydraulic seizer or you can start engine dissassembly and post pictures of your piston, rings, cylinder etc. for us to look at and help you with.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
ndiego124 said:
thanks for the help and i hope its not that bad. and i wasnt just riding in the road the desert is right down the street from my house and yes i know its a possibility it wasnt warm enough. i mean i did just wash it and it is winter so tahts probably what happened. i just hope its not as bad as your guessing it is. But thanks for your help anyways.

It is that bad. :whoa:

But it can be fixed. :nod:

Get a manual for the bike, read it, then start taking it apart.

Rotor

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Washed dirt into the intake, and blew it up. Insufficiently warmed up and cold seized. Loose bore and wfo locked it up. Take your pick, either way you are looking at at least a top end. Now we enter bizzarro world, what the heck is hydraulic seizure? ( I did not have to use the spell check!, wfo came up though!)

Dec 8, 2007
Could it have been a hydrollic siezer?Ive just heard of this and wondered if it could cause this kinda problem?And sorry for spelling hydeollic siezier wrong.

I've heard of "hydraulic lock"? That's caused by too much liquid (oil/gas) getting into the combustion chamber, and not allowing the piston to ever reach the top of the stroke. If that happened you'd have some really big problems, but I don't think it's possible in a 2stroke unless your running it upside down. Maybe you are thinking some liquid got into your crankcase causing transfer port problems. I don't think either of these things could happen when it's running fast though. You have to take the head off at least.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Washed dirt into the intake, and blew it up. Insufficiently warmed up and cold seized. Loose bore and wfo locked it up. Take your pick, either way you are looking at at least a top end. Now we enter bizzarro world, what the heck is hydraulic seizure? ( I did not have to use the spell check!, wfo came up though!)

A friend of mine had that happen on his 69 Nova.. Forgot to put the cover on the scoop attached to his carb.. Rained like a ba$tard, filled a cylinder. When he tried starting it, the rod bent into a nice S shape.

Top Bottom