05 TTR 90 - Lost Key. How to bypass ign.

CaptCon1

Oct 20, 2009
We lost our only key for the TTR 90. Have a trip planned for Ocotillo this weekend with all the kids.

Is it hard to bypass the ignitiion switch or am I going to have to take the walk of shame to the dealer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Should just need to jump the wires.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
just unplug the black\white wire and your'e done. you may do that at the CDI.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I believe lucas is correct. By unpluging those wires you bypass the key switch's ability to ground out the ignition like the kill switch thus letting the bike start.

CaptCon1

Oct 20, 2009
Red wire switched on a 2 pole rocker with Brown wire. New 10amp fuse because of attempting to "jump" all 4 wires together. Both Black wires were taped off. Works well.

Thanks for all your help.

All is good.

CaptCon1

Oct 20, 2009
I almost forgot, the Red wire and the Brown wire complete the circuit to allow the electric starter switch to excite. Once those 2 wires are "switched" or "jumped" it is as if the key was in the "on" position. The 2 black wires when connected are a kill switch. SO, when the stock key ignition switch is turned to the off position, the engine shuts off. Since I eliminated the key ignition switch and used only a rocker switch, the kill switch feature was not needed as the bike already has a handlebar mount kill switch. Because I didn't need the wires, I just taped them up.

Top Bottom