`06 KTM 250 sxf 250 / hard to start!

jdblack7

Aug 7, 2010
I just recently purchased a KTM, my first, and this thing is really tough to start. Any suggestions? The seller said he thought that the previous owner may have changed the jet out to a larger size, so I guess this might be a good place to start. He also said that they (he & his son) had checked the valves and the valve clearance was in tolerance. Perhaps a carburator rebuild? Air filter is clean. Once the bike starts, it idles and runs very strong, it's just getting the bike started that stinks right now. Bike has 59 hours on the meter.

I've ridden a `99 CR 250 for the past ten years and know that 2 strokes typically start easier than a four strokes.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciat it.

Thanks from a newbie member.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Don't try to start it like a two stroke. Firm, full strokes of the kickstarter. Don't turn the throttle. You might try to first give 1 maybe 2 full twists of the throttle before you kick the engine over. 4 strokes can be hard to get used to after riding 2 strokes for so long.
Before you tear into anything, do the basics. Find the top of the stroke and then reset your kickstarter lever all the way up and really kick all the way thru. Eventhough you have auto decompression, finding the top of the stroke takes full advantage of the lever when you kick it thru. You might bump the idle up a bit as well. Turning the throttle while you kick will just flood the engine making it harder to start.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom