ruffryder19

Sep 14, 2005
Few weeks ago, I traded in the 04CR250 for a brand new 06 YZ250, decided to go blue this time cuz of little issues I had with my CR, and because I raced my friends 04YZ 250 couple times, and I got hooked to it. Broke it in, and rode a few laps around the track. Right away, I felt so confident on this bike like I never did before on the CR. handling is on par with the honda. Suspension impressed me , it takes all the ruts, and braking bumps, and pulls out of corners real quick. The suspension felt like it was already revalved, thats how good it is. The motor, I already knew how great of a hit this motor has from my friends 04 model. I love the hard hit off the bottom, it really helps in the real loose sand, and it never bogs, and it also has amazing over rev. I can't see the motor being any better. The only mod I did to this bike was a 756 front tire. This bike is deffinatly better then the CR. If your looking for a new 250, the YZ is the machine! Cant wait till next season to race this machine!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
It's one sweet ride :) my friends who I've let ride my '06 swear it like has a double power band they feel like when it's about to flatten out it's coming back on the pipe and just rev's way out on top. I've had mine since Aug and all i've done to it is basically put my bars on and grips and a D756 up front! Everyone who rides it says it scares them at times cause it's so light feeling you can't feel it at times.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
This is the only machine out there that I am envious of...enjoy the bike!

Better yet, sell it to me when you get you 07!

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
It is amazing to me how responsive the YZ's are out of the box. I don't care for the ergos, but it is one sweet motor ( could use more mid and top for me ). The Yamahammers have come a long way. Be sure to use antisieze on the chain adjusters, ours locked up on the '04 and '05 - now we're pretty religious about taking them out every so often and lubing them.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
I agree, a great bike. The suspension is top notch, the motor is top notch, the Ti shock spring, Ti pegs, Excel rims and overall build quality are top notch. But, as I'mNeverRight said, I dont' think the ergos are bad but the stock bars are low. I replaced them with some 971 renthals and will eventually go to some pro tapers. The stock renthals are a 790.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
The only majotrfault I could find with the 05 was that the forks break in and soften up and the 739 tire is horrendous for colorado conditions, other than that the bike is great. If i can recommend one thing for 07 is to put higher bars standard on the bike and give me a fuel injected throttle body(I know this is really pushing it).

Erik

PAULRY

Mar 17, 2004
Excellent choice of bike. I moved from CRF450's to the YZ250 in 2005 and have not looked back. Light, powerful and good handling.

I have one of the European '06 models. I noticed that this bike has a sensor fitted to the case, Yamaha call it a Neutral Switch, near the gear lever. What purpose does this serve?

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
It's not stock on my US model I think it was at one point something about when the bike is in neutral it suppose to kick over into some "idle" mode ignition mapping? i'm sure someone know's better what it's purpose is in detail. Doesn't it raise idle?

Crash 142

May 30, 2002
I think the neutral switch sets the ignition to run 'quieter' to sort of cheat its way past sound checks.

I think I heard something along those lines.

chrismxer

Aug 17, 2005
I came off of a Yz250f to the 06 YZ250 and had a little trouble getting use to it. But once I did I liked it better and better every time I rode it!! The suspension can be made to be a lot better, even though it's pretty good out of the box! The other thing I like about this bike is how flickable it is in the air. I came off a little jump right out of a left hander and threw it sideways to the left. Scared the hell out of me because I felt the handle bar lock as the rear end kicked out to the left and the jump was very small and the ground was coming soon, plus I've never felt the sensation of the lock in the air!! I thought for a second this could be ugly but remembered how good the suspension was (especially after I revalved it) pulled it back and landed just fine!! That was a sweet moment for me!! So in a nut shell I love this bike!!

The only thing I didn't like was that stock seat. Killed my guts, so I got a little bit softer one. A lot better.

Chris.

ruffryder19

Sep 14, 2005
NacNac250F said:
How is the power of the 06' YZ250 compared to a 450? I am thinking about getting a YZ250.
To compare to a 450 in power , I think its more responsive, and revs quicker then 450's, I always pulled holeshots with my friends 04YZ250 against 450's, but it depends how good you get your hook up off the line. I ridden the CRF 450, and the powerband feels broader, and revs slower, its more of an easy to ride motor.

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
I honestly cannot see how the 4 stroke is leading the industry with bikes like this. The 06 YZ250 is a great package....what could you posisbly change? The 06 YZ250 is the only bike I'd replace my 05 RM250, which impresses the hell out of me. The motors on the Kawis are supposed to be nice now as well, so with honda aside, today's 2 strokes flat out rip across the whole powerband. I have actually gotten myself in trouble in tight woods with the overly responsive bottom end on my RM. The only reason I went yellow was the steering of the 05 YZ250 was bashed by quite a few of the testers in comparison tests with other 05 models, and the RM was the top contender, but in 06, that's changed. Yamaha fixed the issues of the 05 for 2006, and it's simply an awesome bike. EVERY magazine tester of it absolutely love this bike. I'm a big yamaha fan and wish I could have waited a few months to get into an 06 YZ250, but hey.....the $4999 sale price of my 05 RM250 is keeping me happy.

RED EXPRESS

Sep 16, 2005
YZFRob if you get an 06 YZ250 raise the forks about 3/16" up above the tripple clamp and it will turn faster than your RM and it won't give up anywhere else from doing this.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
I am 46 and got my '06 YZ-250 to chase my son on his YZ-85. We ride on the track occasionally; on our home track a lot; and some trails in our woods. I find my YZ to be fine (for me) for all these uses. Last year I had a TT-R250 (first bike in 14 years) while my son learned on his TT-R125 (his first bike). The TT-R250 was fine to plonk around following him but wasn't much to get excited about (I missed my last YZ, a 1989 model).

Perhaps my memory has dulled but I couldn't believe how far they have progressed the YZ250. My '89 had Pro-Circiut suspension etc but wasn't anywhere as good as my stock '06. The "quality" of the engine (power, powerband width etc) is great.

All I did was go from 14/50 gearing to 14/52 since I do some trail work.

Oh, now that my son has gotten used to his YZ-85 I am finding I am having to work harder to "chase him". :ride:

ruffryder19

Sep 14, 2005
During the cold winter I'v done few mods on my 250. I raised the fork tubes up like RED EPRESS mentioned, revalved my suspension, put tapered bars on with RG3 clamps, Gold O ring chain, and V force 3. I took it out for the first time last week, we had mild weather, and gotta say, this bike is incredible. This is like my fourth ride on this bike, and those simple mods made it even better! The bikes handling improved, and it rails the berms with ease, with a superb motor to pull out! The bike feels light, and very stable. The suspension got even better with the revalve, works awesome in the woops, and braking bumps. I can't wait till spring to race it, so I can kick some ass!!

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
Yamaha has a love affair with the Dunlop 739 tire. The upgrade to a 756 is the best single investment you could do for this bike. The key to riding a 4-stroke is not overreving it and letting the torque do the work. They do work if you learn how to apply the power. That being said, I still love my 2 strokes for doing everything I do very well. You only need to be in tight woods once with a 450 to understand how well a 2 stroke 250 puts that good old flickable power/weight ratio down to the ground.

dbarn1681

Apr 26, 2004
I have a question for you YZ riders. I just picke dup a leftover 05 YZ250, and I'm wondering about the procedure for breakin. Manual recommends running 16:1 then switching to 30:1. Ar eyou'll doing this or is this overkill?

Much Thanks!!
Dave

PAULRY

Mar 17, 2004
I have always run my 250 bikes in at 32:1 and have never had a problem. At 16:1 you will have enough oil to gum the powervalves up and enough oil in the silencer to run nearly an entire season. Run it at 32:1, no problem.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
dbarn1681 said:
I have a question for you YZ riders. I just picke dup a leftover 05 YZ250, and I'm wondering about the procedure for breakin. Manual recommends running 16:1 then switching to 30:1. Ar eyou'll doing this or is this overkill?

Much Thanks!!
Dave

For initial break in, be most gentle on the bearings. The less stress on them the for the first 15-30 minutes the better.

After a heat cyle or two rev the engine freely but not in 5th gear at 80km/hr or in deep sand. No Stress!

Change your engine oil often and the forks, and shock soon after the engine is broke-in... There will be all kinds of aluminum shavings and dirt in there that the original oil will rinse off.

I don't know about 16:1 but that oil rich mixture is to lube the fresh bearings in the crank. If you go easy on them initially, they will break-in fine at 32:1...

Nice bike! In my area there are lots and lots of 4 stroke left overs but no 05 250YZs 2 strokes anywhere.
:(

Top Bottom