08 ttr125l only runs great on Reserve

denbsteph

Mar 9, 2009
I read the section on "Carb Cleaning",but before I do that I want to get a second opinon. Here is the issue. Bike warms up with choke on, disengage the choke bike shuts off. According to carb claening it is the slow jet. I managed to get it to go by keeping the RPM's up, rode it for a 1/4 mile staled. I decided to switch to RESERVE, kick twice, starts, took off runs great! Switch back to ON, bike sputters and dies. I did however put in some gas that is a good month old. Assuming the gas is the problem, wouldnt that old gas affect the reserve?

Before putting the bike up for the winter,(Bike has not been started for about 5 weeks) I turned the gas off and started the bike and ran all the gas out of the Carb. I have done this on my other three bikes and have had no problems in cranking them up ( Honda's, xr 80, crf 50, crf 150f)

The temp has been down in the 20's at night and 30 to 40's during the day.

Second: if I was to take the carb apart and clean the slow jet, by removing the jet and not knowing where the proper setting is, how will I be able to get the bike to run again?

Any help is greatly associated, Dennis

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Take the petcock out of the tank and clean it. It sounds like the main pickup might be clogged.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Not real likely. Sounds EXACTLY like what Vic said, happened to my on one of our bike a few months ago.

mj4trax

Dec 8, 2009
I had the exact same issue come up on my trx250R.

I'm not familiar with the ttr125 and how the petcock is mounted, but in my case, there were two fuel lines running from the tank to the petcock (mounted on the frame) and one of the fuel lines had developed a pinch in the line. I'm guessing that your petcock is mounted directly to the tank, but if not, I'd definitely recommend to check the lines for a pinch.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It has one fuel line, the petcock it mounted to the tank. The petcock has two little tubes inside it or one tube and one hole but the basic idea is that once the fuel gets to a certian level it can no longer get in the primary tube. So you flip it to reserve and it goes to the shorter tube or perhaps just a hole in the mountin plate, either way it's lower so the fuel can now get to the carb while you head for gas. If the primary tube gets blocked gues what? No gas. Flip to resere and the fuel as a new unblocked way to the fuel line again.

denbsteph

Mar 9, 2009
I'll let you know how it turns out, had knee surgery a month ago and it is not cooperating very well.

Patman: That's the kind of "Picture Painting" I need, I see exactly what you are talking about, makes it a whole lot easier. Thanks

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
denbsteph said:
Patman: That's the kind of "Picture Painting" I need, I see exactly what you are talking about, makes it a whole lot easier. Thanks

Then this should really help.

YA1207032016.gif

denbsteph

Mar 9, 2009
I went to bike bandit and seen the schematic, I feel like a dummy. I get parts from them all the time for the FZ1 and it did not dawn on me until I seen Vic's pic. I must be getting old.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000

denbsteph

Mar 9, 2009
Issue fixed, removed pet ****, little bit of junk. Cleaned it, filled her with gas, runs like new. Thanks to all who gave their 2 cents.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
denbsteph said:
guessed I used the wrong terminology, bleeped me out.

Gotta watch that ****. :whoa:

:nod:

Top Bottom