railer

Nov 4, 2005
Well, I ran into a snag this weekend. Got to the track around 10:30 Saturday. This was the second weekend I've had the bike out. Bike was running just fine until about 2:00. I had stopped to take a break for about 15 to 20 minutes and I went to go kick it over and put in a few more laps and the kickstarter was locked up, or at least it felt like it. If I let my foot rest on it, eventually it would release and go down, but once I let it back up, it locked. I'm a pretty heavy guy and I couldn't get the SOB to kick over at all, so I know I wasn't just being a pansy. I tried run starting it, but the wheel would just lock up.

Called the shop, explained this to them, and the tech said to bring it in. I asked him if he had heard of this before on the new bikes and he said yes, and that it was the "something decompressor something." I know nothing about 4-stroke motors (yet) and I'm a bit afraid to go digging into this thing being its only 3 weeks old (not to mention the wires running everywhere).

I also asked the tech if this was possibly a recall and if I would be charged for the fix. He said no (to the recall) and "probably not" (get charged) given that that's the problem. I will bring the bike in Monday and update y'all as I know more.

To say the least I'm not very happy about the whole situation. The bike has 3 hours total on it and I have changed oil twice, and the tranny oil once already. I'm far from pro, so the bike hasn't seen any ragging at all. I haven't wrecked it but once, and all it did was fall on it's side. We'll see what happens. I know that dirt bikes don't come with warranties, but I'll say this, Honda better back their product if they wanna keep me buying them. (I have a lot of other honda stuff, generator, power washer, etc...)

B

biglou

The auto-decomp mechanism. Been hearing about this more than I'm comfortable with, unfortunately. :(

I've still only got .6 hours on mine thanks to our wonderful weather.

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I posted a response to this a week ago. The dealer said its not a recal but will fix w/o charge. It seems some bikes have the issue and others do not. If the problem is going to occur, it happens within the first 10hrs. There is no redisgn of the part. The dealer will put in the stock part.

This is only a small portion of the problem. I have 9hrs on the bike and still not happy with the suspension. Taking it tomorrow moring for a total revalve front and back for the small choppy braking bumps - its horrible.
Spokes574

railer

Nov 4, 2005
Well you know, after hearing that, I have something to add. After mine crapped out yesterday, my buddy who just bought an 07 450R which belonged to one of the race team racers, let me take his bike out for a few laps. I can honestly say, it felt way better. I had trouble admitting it given I have a brand spaking new 09, but I can't lie to myself. Something about it just felt better. I dunno. Once I get mine back up, we're gonna do a couple flip-flops on each others' bikes and see what we both think. I'll let y'all know.

Brian.

P.S. does anybody know if you can change your profile/screen name without starting a whole new account?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
railer said:
P.S. does anybody know if you can change your profile/screen name without starting a whole new account?

Nope. You are stuck with the name you have.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
From doing some reading on the net, seems like some of the cam problems on the new bike are from owners lowering the idle speed to much. Keep the idle UP!!!

B

biglou

You know how bubba looks on his Yamaha after coming off KX's? Well, I'm more like just the opposite. I love the 09, and I'm not just saying that. Then again, I'm coming off a blue bike! :laugh: I'm just your average old fat guy, and the 09 CRF will in no way limit my performance, lol!

2004 cr500af

Jan 15, 2009
I'm not trying to stir the pot but here goes. Why do some people continue to buy 4 strokes if all this money and time is on repairs. The 2 strokes are so simple and easy to maintain. Why is it we believe all the hype on these 4 strokes. Spending a large amount of money on a new bike and having all these issues is a waste. All you have to do is watch the races and see the results will someone lose the championship because of a 4 stroke not starting or finishing? I hope people see this before it's to late and go back to the smoker.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Rich Rohrich said:
Nope. You are stuck with the name you have.
Hence the stupid name I made up as a joke, never thinking I'd really like this website so much and read it so often.
2004 cr500AF said:
Why do some people continue to buy 4 strokes if all this money and time is on repairs.
Because they want a chance to win if they are racing. Many people, like myself, enjoy working on bikes.
Also, it's not like there is a bunch of alternatives out there. YZ250, KTM and a handful of others. If I had to buy a brand new bike tomorrow--and wife says never going to happen--I probably would by a YZ250, but I might get a 4 stroke. Really a moot question, I guess....

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
2004 cr500af said:
I'm not trying to stir the pot but here ...

What a load of crap. Stirring the pot is exactly what you are trying to do.

2004 cr500af said:
Why do some people continue to buy 4 strokes if all this money and time is on repairs. The 2 strokes are so simple and easy to maintain. Why is it we believe all the hype on these 4 strokes. Spending a large amount of money on a new bike and having all these issues is a waste. All you have to do is watch the races and see the results will someone lose the championship because of a 4 stroke not starting or finishing? I hope people see this before it's to late and go back to the smoker.
Most people never race their MX bike so what wins on Sunday is of no consequence to most buyers.

Four-strokes are no more difficult to maintain then modern two-strokes, but enough people who have never laid hands on one are convinced otherwise. Then you get guys like you parroting the same bad info when it's clear they have no experience to back it up, and the cycle continues.

If you maintain a modern two-stroke properly the costs and work involved is about the same as a four-stroke. The work is a little different and it requires people to buy a service manual, read it and learn some new procedures, but almost all of it can be done by a guy at home with the same hand tools that we used on two-strokes.

The exception being, cutting of valve seats. You can buy simple hand tools from the OEM or aftermarket (Neway) and cut seats at home or you can farm it out. This work isn't done very often so the overall cost increase is minor.

What this ultimately boils down to is pretty simple. For a lot of riders, two-strokes give riders more leeway in ignoring maintenance. Riders who want to run their bikes till the parts are totally shagged get off easier when their two-stroke breaks a part or two.

We see these same people coming out here to the forums completely baffled by why the skirt broke off their two-stroke piston, or why their crank seized.

The current crop of four-strokes has been around for more then 10 years, and none of this is new. What has changed is a large number of these maintenance impaired dolts have purchased four-strokes and are using these same maintenance ideas and it's biting them harder.

For a lot of people four-strokes are just more fun to ride, and they work. If they weren't they wouldn't sell as well as they do, and two-strokes wouldn't have been collecting dust on the dealer floor.

Last edited:

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I own both and would really like to see a 400CC smoker with all the modern 2 stroke stuff and a good chassis.That'd be a hoot to ride and faster than you'd think.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The next best thing is there for the taking, and you are right it is a hoot to ride. :cool:

http://servicehonda.com/cr500af05.html

07_500af.jpg

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm one of those guys Rich talks about. yeah, I've raced. I've had two strokes, and they are exhausting to ride. I finally got a XR500, and while it was a freakin' earth pig, it made me a better rider because I didn't have to work as hard. Then I got the XR400, and was amazed that I had just about the same amount of power, one less carburetor (YAY!) and a (relatively) more nimble chassis. Then I switched again to the 525EXC and have had nothing but fun ever since.

Sure, I've ridden them all, would probably enjoy something red or blue (I've never been one for green or yellow -- but I did have several yellow Yamahas) but hey, I'm having all the fun I can stand, and I don't have to work hard at it.

That, my luddite friends, is why 4-strokes have become popular.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Yeah the CR500AF is one of those I'll eventually own but the price kills me.I've ridden one and it's a blast to ride like Rich said but whooo the cost.I'll stick with my CRF450R and YZ465 for now.Both are fun to ride but the stump pulling torque of the YZ just makes me smile every time.And the brakes make me scream every corner.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
Well, this thread has been a bit stolen, but I'm not complaining, for I like it when arguments like this get started. I learn a lot just by reading the posts, so please continue.

Update on the bike: none yet. Shop hasn't got around to looking at it. They did tell me that if it is the autodecompressor, they will fix it and everything collateral it may have damaged. Lets just pray that's the problem, so I can continue not being broke. :)

As for my bit on 4-strokes, this would be the first one I've ever owned. I may have made a mistake by buying a brand new one, but I have ridden an old bike (smoker) ever since I started riding and I had the cash to throw down on a down-payment, so I sprung for a new 4stroke (a buddy highly recommended Honda). So far, the bike has been badass. I couldn't ask for a better feel on a motorcycle. I enjoy the wider power-band. I enjoy the power, period. I enjoy how smooth the throttle feels. I like the deeper noise. I really like not having to mix gas. I like working on bikes a bunch, but I was a bit afraid to rip into a brand new fuel-injected bike, so I let the shop handle this one. Otherwise, I would have jumped at the chance to figure out the problem myself, and someday when the bike is a bit older, I will. I enjoy the fact that I'm not ruining the planet (as much) too. As of now, I'm going to keep the old 2-stroke, but if I ever get back on it still remains unknown. 2-strokes have their place, but seeing the evolution of dirt bikes is an amazing thing. Also, I haven't had to experience this yet with the new one, but not having to re-jet the bike is fantastic.

One other note in response to the idle, the idle has been low since I got the bike. Should I up it? I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. I beleive the manual says to leave it where it's at. Any comments on that?

Brian.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I'd only raise the idle if the bike is stalling.If it's just the decompressor that would explain why all you could do was slowly move the kicker.Big high compression thumpers are tricky to start if somethings out of whack.

I love my CRF too.That 6000 RPM wide spread of fat power makes the bike a breeze to ride fast.At least fast for me.And my Thunder Alley megaphone just sounds so good.And the off idle boost from it is great.Best $120 I spent on this beast.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
Hey gang, got the bike back, took it for a spin up and down the street. Running good. We'll see how long it lasts.

They ended up robbing a camshaft from a new bike since they cannot get the new camshafts yet. Whoever thinks they got the new camshaft is probably mistaken, considering the Honda dealer doesn't have them yet.

Anyway, hopefully this one they put in there lasts, we'll see. It's all warrantied, so my wallet is still in good shape, but I'm gonna be pissed if I have the same problem half-way through a day of riding. :yell:

Cheers,
Brian.

B

biglou

Crossing my fingers too. I might get to actually ride this weekend. From 8degrees and light snow cover to 60 and sunny... :ride:

railer

Nov 4, 2005
Yea, I'm talking about taking a trip to Glamis in March. If that pin breaks while I'm out there, I'm gonna have a coronary. It won't be pretty. If it's gonna break again, it better happen before that. The guy at the shop spoke as if there was going to be a recall, so if there is, I'm definitely gonna take it in. I'll post it on here if I hear anything.

Brian.

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
If you maintain a modern two-stroke properly the costs and work involved is about the same as a four-stroke. The work is a little different and it requires people to buy a service manual, read it and learn some new procedures, but almost all of it can be done by a guy at home with the same hand tools that we used on two-strokes.

Are you seriously stating that a new CRF450 is going to cost the same to maintain properly as a CR500 (or 250 for that matter) when the work is done by the owner? I would think that the maintenance intervals would be approximately equal with the 4 stroke needing many many more parts over the long term.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
magneto said:
Are you seriously stating that a new CRF450 is going to cost the same to maintain properly as a CR500 (or 250 for that matter) when the work is done by the owner? I would think that the maintenance intervals would be approximately equal with the 4 stroke needing many many more parts over the long term.

Sometimes you have to just let people think what they want.

Anyone who's owned a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke knows that the smoker is way less expensive to properly maintain.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
TRexRacing said:
Did they change the design of the decompressor?

I don't really know what I'm talking about (haha), but this is my take: There's no more hot-start lever anymore, it's automatic.

Also, since I've had the bike back from the shop, I have not had a chance to take it out. Hopefully next weekend, I will get the chance. I need to put some hours on it bad, so I can make sure it's good. If I get out to Glamis, and this thing fails on me, I'm gonna sh** a brick. Speaking of which, if anybody hears of a recall, please post immediately. I'm going to nag the shop constantly about it, and I will do the same if I find out. Thanks!

Brian.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
railer said:
There's no more hot-start lever anymore, it's automatic.

Hot Start's & decompressors are 2 different things. The lack of a hot start lever on the 09 450 is due to it being fuel injected.

Top Bottom