'09 Mods vs Rockers Vintage Motorcycle show

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The fifth annual Chicago Ton-Up Club's Mods vs Rockers Vintage Motorcycle show was held today in the streets surrounding Delilah's Bar, right in the heart of the city. It's always a fun show with lots of interesting bikes and fun (and sometimes ODD) motorcycle people. It's one of the many great reasons to be in Chicago in the summer.

I took a ton of shots and hopefully I'll get a few keepers.

I'm sorting through them and will be posting them in a gallery on my website over the next week or so but for now here's just a little taste.

The highlight for me was seeing Big Sid's incredible "Vincati", and getting the chance to chat with him a bit. I suspect Big Sid must be AJ's real father, because they are kindred spirits of the highest order.

The mighty Vincati ( more info at www.bigsid.com ). That's Matthew Biberman in the pic. He wrote the book about Big Sid and the Vincati :
MVR09_2885_web.jpg

A cool old Guzzi with external valve springs.
MVR09_2740_web.jpg

A little something for the Ton Up club guys ;)

MVR09_2728_web.jpg

For those who didn't see them, here's a link to some of my 2007 Mods vs Rockers pictures: http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=153207

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
One of my favorite parts about this event, is most of the bikes are ridden to the event, and at the end of the day they get kicked to life and ridden to the after party. You don't see many trailer queens in this bunch. :cool:

A couple of different post process attempts on one of my favorite shots of the day:

MVR09_2884_sfx_ap_1a_web.jpg

MVR09_2884_sfx_hs_web.jpg

The original :

MVR09_2884_web.jpg

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Very cool Rich. :cool:

Love the Ton-up pic.

The first B&W of the Velo is great. Complete with the turned up cuff. :nod:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Terry - The Velocette was really cool. The best part is the guy rides it all the time. I see it around once in a while on the street and he's at the show every year.

MVR09_2891_web.jpg

MVR_07_2274.jpg

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
very nice rich... great show it is...
one dumb question, what means mods vs rockers?
modified bikes and pushrod engines?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Two subcultures back in the 50's? Mods were the biker types and rockers were scooter riders with some flair. Aparently they often got in to fights because of their different virws on bikes, clothes and basically what was cool.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
ok, i think i get it... that brings to my head some random images from movies...
after so many years and we still have mods vs rockers. just with other name.
great times huh?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Patman said:
Two subcultures back in the 50's? Mods were the biker types and rockers were scooter riders with some flair. Aparently they often got in to fights because of their different virws on bikes, clothes and basically what was cool.

You have that backwards Pat. Mods were the weasely little wankers dressed up in suits and buzzing around on scooters.

Rockers are the traditional Ace Cafe style black leather jacket wearing riders on cafe racers.

Here's a couple more pictures from the show,

MVR09_2733_1a_sfx_1.jpg

MVR09_2820_1a_sfx.jpg

MVR09_2738_1a_sfx.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A few more .

MVR09_2888_1a_sfx.jpg

MVR09_2834_1a_sfx.jpg

MVR09_2804_1a_sfx.jpg

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Those are some cool bikes. The older I get the more I'm starting to gravitate towards the vintage bikes and period customs.

Steve

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thanks for the clarification Rich, without actually investigating for ourselves. And, once again, guy figuring is seemingly backwards. The last pics are way cool!!! I am way overdue for a visit to the big city, and am itchy to see the new Sears(willy?) tower observation deck, I should mark the calendar for next year!

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
Rich Rohrich said:
You have that backwards Pat. Mods were the weasely little wankers dressed up in suits and buzzing around on scooters.

Rockers are the traditional Ace Cafe style black leather jacket wearing riders on cafe racers.
this is a thread that worth bringing to the top.
taking in account the "from bad pile" thread i decided to dig this one to complement it. :cool: :cool:

now, as i comprehend better the whole "mods vs rockers" thing, i think i get the partial and slightly sarcastic tone on your writing that at the time was not fully clear...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks Helio.

Only 5 months till the 2011 Mods vs Rockers show. :yeehaw:

This year I'm going to make an effort to really treat the show like a photo assignment and try to bring back some seriously high quality images.

When I'm around all those great motorcycles, I get lost in the cool engineering and I sometimes forget how to take good photos. :whoa:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I missed the show in 2013 but it looks like it will be bigger and better than ever this year for the shows 10th anniversary. Just a couple of months away, and I can't wait. I'll be there camera in hand to record the fun.

http://modsvsrockerschicago.com/

A little teaser video:

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
One of my favorite parts about this event, is most of the bikes are ridden to the event, and at the end of the day they get kicked to life and ridden to the after party. You don't see many trailer queens in this bunch. :cool:

A couple of different post process attempts on one of my favorite shots of the day:

MVR09_2884_sfx_ap_1a_web.jpg

MVR09_2884_sfx_hs_web.jpg

The original :

MVR09_2884_web.jpg
Rich, I think the photos were taken off, oh well I reckon it was a blast...

Top Bottom