Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
Okay, im a trail rider, and im looking for the best 125 for the woods, i want that all round good bike thats great on bottom end, but will keep my eyes watering elseware. any advice? Or should i go with a 250? or a KDX220? im 5'5" 150ish so size is a little disadvantage. But i figured i could lower them a ways and id be ok. I want a good woods bike that has that low end power for pulling the wheel up in the sand haha.

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
What's your favorite color?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
125 is not a great options for woods, unless you are an advanced rider. KDX is same dimensions as the 125, and will have much better low end power for woods riding. If you're stuck on a 125, get whatever brand you prefer, add a flywheel weight and big bore kit. Be ready to replace pistons very often.

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
so a 125 just doesnt have that low end for slow going woods riding?

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
Bonehead said:
125 bottom end woods bike Thats an oxymoron Try a 150 ktm
Its hard to find a used KTM 150, they're such new bikes i cant find anything

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
the ktm144 is really the same bike just older.

for woods only a kdx200/220 is the best bet

For a woods bike, get a yz125 aluminum frame. add some teeth to the rear and a pipe.

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
Now im thinking i want a KX250F or the CR250X/R. are these also trail capable in handling or are they best left for the track?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Ive ridden many brands and models of bikes. For woods riding, a 125 MX bike ranks at the very bottom of the list. I cant think of a bike that performs worse on the trail. 125s make most of their power at very high rpms (top end) and they have almost non existent low end power, which is ok zipping around a track, but not ok when a big, nasty, steep hill sneaks up on you. When you need that low end power, it will bog down on you. I have seen only very skilled riders make a 125 work on trails. In addition to the lack of low end power, the 125, like any MX bike, is geared for tracks, which is traditionally too high in first and too closely spaced gearing. You are much better off buying a bike designed for trail riding, such as a KDX, or KTM EXC, or many others. The CRF250X you mentioned would work ok, but you will spend alot of time and money on maintenance compared to other bikes.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I've ridden 125's in the woods for years, everyone thinks I'm nuts, but I like em.

Yamaha... best motor.

Suzuki... best handling IMO, falls a little short in low end, but can be made to work.

Kawasaki... ok motor, ok handling.

Honda... awesome handling, terrible motor.

When riding a 125 you must get use to clutch work and perhaps add 1-2 teeth to the rear sprocket. Shaving a little metal off the base of the cylinder will give you more low-end. So will using more exhaust gaskets (before sliding the pipe into cyl.) Low-end reeds. Advance the timing some if you can get by with it.
Nothing like being "in charge" of the bike rather than it owning you IMO. All cross rutted and sliding sideways on some nasty downhill?... no sweat on a 125.
If shopping for a used 125, I recommend either the YZ or RM, when it needs a top-end spend the bucks and go 144... NICE!

Top Bottom