Blade1413

Mar 23, 2001
Hey guys.. I'm not old enouph to have had a great vintage bike but am attempting to rebuild one.. 1973 Honda CB350.. Have already replaced the rings, pistons, bored out the cylinder, and replaced the cracked diaphrams in the carbs.. I have also cleaned out the carbs and attempted to get the thing running but it refused to run right.. i thought i had it when i replaced the diaphrams but it still wouldn't work.. so i've ordered some new points and condensors and hopefully will have it running like new in a couple of weeks! Anyone have any experience with this bike in the past.. i have heard its extremely reliable but its not acting very good with me.. I'm not to happy with it right now..
frown.gif

I have gotten it to run slightly before.. it was very erradic and would only run with the choke fully on... and it would die if the throttle was twisted hard, but revved high in the rpms if the it was twisted very slowly.. this was before the diaphrams were replaced and i thought that was the problem but now the darn thing won't even start up.. I'm hoping the new points and condensors will solve the problem but i'm not too confident.. maybe its the carb float level? it being too lean?
One last thing, i found an article with how to make this bike into a racing machine but i don't think it would be worth it at all because i've already screwed up making it into a performance machine by going with regular pistons and stuff like that.. Sorry for rambling on.. i've been working on this bike as a project for more than six months now and i really want to get the *&** thing running!

------------------
- - Ben

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
I have both a CL350 and a CB350. The racing article you referred to is a good start for someone that already knows how to race, and is a good street rider. Having talked with some people about the vintage racing scene, the general consensus is that there are far more important things to do than build a hot rod engine. For example, swingarm bushings are a typical problem, a good exhaust, head bearings should be changed to a tapered bearing, a good set of shocks and on an on.

The carbs have always been an issue on my bikes as well. If they can be cleaned enough, they ought to work. You might think about 32mm Mikuni roundslides if you are interested in more performance. The points setup is fairly important to keeping this bike running well. You mentioned this bike would run well choke full on. Perhaps your low speed jetting is still clogged up. Do you have any airleaks? You might consider joining Michael Moore's vintage roadracing list as well. BTW, breaker point gap should be .012-.016 inches. Check to see that you have spark first, since it won't run at all now. Is everything connected? Are you kicking it over or electric starting it? Is the kill switch on? (I seem to remember my CL turning over with the kill switch on, but not totally sure).

float height on engine numbers prior to 1045165 is .75 inches.

For numbers 1045165-1065278 it is .83 inches.

For all numbers after, 1.02 inches.

Good luck, and keep us posted

BTW You might be able to sucker more people into helping you on this "dirtbike board" if you refer to it as a CL350 (high pipes, tires, maybe wheel size) dual sport rather than a streetbike.
smile.gif

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
The points and condensor should help too. Check your coil impedances, and check your gas tank. Is it rusty? Are the carbs clogged again from dirty gas? Also check your engine timing. You might be off a tooth on the camchain or something. Hopefully not.

Blade1413

Mar 23, 2001
Hopefully i'll work on this bike this weekend.. Thanks for the posts guys.. I was getting a spark before but for some reason i wasn't getting a spark on my left side lately.. I replaced the kill switch assembly and am not getting a spark at all anymore.. i have to check my wiring completely this weekend.. For the carbs, I have cleaned them out very well and the gas tank seems to be in good condition.. have cleaned it out and doesn't seem to have any loose rust in it.. I am worried about the cam time being off because my manual was not very specific in placing the darn thing back in there. But i assumed that everything was good when it had good conpression and started right up off of my first kick when i first got it back together.. My fist problem was that i did not have the bolt and washer holding the spark arrestor in place so it would only run for a short time and would not respond to throttle unless applied very slowly.. my guess for that is that the diaphrams were cracked and the choke was fully engaged.. I have soaked the carbs in a tank of carb cleaner and i have used compressed air on the things but i have not pulled the jets out.. guess i will have to do that.. one last thing.. do you think it could be my spark advancer (the springs being worn out?) they don't seem worn out to me but i'm not an expert and don't have any experience with that type of thing.. One last thing that has been pointed out to me is that if the points spark at all then the condensor is bad.. is this true? because i would use this small spark to give me a good way of setting the timing, i would also use the spark plugs and their spark.. is this a bad idea.. should i go ahead and set up a test light? Well i hope i get this thing running and on the road.. it will be my first streetbike.. i have been riding dirt bikes a long time and have also passed the msf course so the only thing left is to get this bike running! One last thing.. i have modified the airbox by modifying and Glueing K&N air filter where the old filter was.. I thought this might cause the choke being on but would it affect it that much? will i have to rejet because of this?
smile.gif

------------------
- - Ben

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by ButtonFly:
"BTW You might be able to sucker more people into helping you on this "dirtbike board" if you refer to it as a CL350 (high pipes, tires, maybe wheel size) dual sport rather than a streetbike.
smile.gif
"

Uh , uh , you mean to say that CL's arent dirtbikes??????
eek.gif
confused.gif
eek.gif

Gosh , and to think that after all these years i always thought.................

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
In the spirit of the period, early seventies, stick some knobbies on it and call it a desert sled. Everyone will be happy.

Greg

Blade1413

Mar 23, 2001
Well guys.. GOod News.. I worked all day today on the wiring and the sucker fired right up.. rode it around for a while.. it was great!
I've been working on this thing for more than six months.. it felt so good to go for a ride on it..

------------------
- - Ben

[This message has been edited by Blade1413 (edited 04-13-2001).]

Top Bottom