.1976 Honda MT125 Elsinore Restore.HELP Please?

Newman71

Dec 10, 2012
Hello,Im new to the forums.
I Just picked up an old dirtbike I found sitting in my friend's backyard,i've wanted a dirtbike about alll my life and when i saw this one it just called my name.I HAD to have it,despite all the rust and dust.iIt was a diamond in the rough to me.
So my question is how much does it usually take to restore one of these?Any History Or Experiences are appreciated also,i'd love to read about them.

Dec 17, 2005
That would depend on condition and what degree of originality you want. Pictures would help. I am not sure with that model but parts may be hard to find. Maybe some of the other members will chime in.

Newman71

Dec 10, 2012
Thank You

Thanks for replying brett..I FINALLY Figured how to post pics :cool: Here They are
I think its great condition for its age.
and I Just want it to be able to handle some trails again.maybe new paint.
Any estimates or suggestions will be appreciated

Attachments

• cimg0034h.jpg
    cimg0034h.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 416
  • cimg0031my.jpg
    cimg0031my.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 397
  • cimg0032c (1).jpg
    cimg0032c (1).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 440

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Nice find. :cool: Looks to be in pretty good shape. The cost of a restoration project depends upon how involved you get. If you completly restore it, meaning you strip it down. Dissasemble every part, engine, forks, wheels and frame and recondition every part it could get quite expensive. If you do the labor yourself you will still have a lot of expense in replating, repainting and reconditioning damaged parts. In many cases, the cost of restoring a bike exceeds the value of the bike even when it is done. :ohmy:

That one looks pretty nice. You could probably get away with just cleaning it up and touching up the paint with rattle cans. Steel wool works good for removing surface rust and elbow grease is your friend. :laugh: The engine is another thing. Since it is so old, you will probably have to replace all of the seals. You should at least remove the top end and inspect the piston, rod and crankshaft.
Have fun.

Newman71

Dec 10, 2012
Thanks for the info,I had a feeling this could get pretty costly,but I'm prepared and i think it will be worth it in the end,Besides I only paid $50 for it.It's going to be my first project EVER :) .I have a friend who rides motocross and his dad's going to check out the top end tomorrow,ill post the results after..What is the worth of one of these As Is?

Newman71

Dec 10, 2012
Thanks for the info,I had a feeling this could get pretty costly,but I'm prepared and i think it will be worth it in the end,Besides I only paid $50 for it.It's going to be my first project EVER :) .I have a friend who rides motocross and his dad's going to check out the top end tomorrow,ill post the results after..What is the worth of one of these As Is?

Newman71

Dec 10, 2012
UPDATE: Checked the top end yesterday,piston and all looks GREAT,almost like it was never ridden.did a compression test and had plenty at 220.i've pressure washed,hit the exhaust with a steel brush and PLENTY of elbow grease trust me! lol. steel wooled the rims,and everything still has amazing shine under all those layers of time..Im missing two things before I can try to start it though..A stator cover and a throttle cable.Anyone know any websites I can get those? I'm not to fond of ebay.
Here's Some Pics From Yesterday :)

Attachments

• cimg0037c.jpg
    cimg0037c.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 381
  • cimg0038h.jpg
    cimg0038h.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 377
  • cimg0040r.jpg
    cimg0040r.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 390

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Check with flandersco.com for a cable. They can make you a custom cable for any bike. Ebay is probably your best bet to find a stator cover. For rings, pistons, gaskets and seals go to lasleeve.com. :cool:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
You could try contacting Motion Pro for the cable. They may not have it on their website, but they still may have it.

Not sure if a CR125 stator cover might fit. Will certainly be more common.

Very lightly used and nice MT125, btw. It was common for all the street legal stuff to get stripped off, but if you want to 'restore' is someday, you might see if the original stuff is sitting in a box someplace near where you got the bike.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Still easy to get parts for those bikes. As just mentioned, lots of infor on honda-elsinore.com. Try www.re-mx.com for many parts. Good people and good service. There were a whole lot of MTs produced and lots of goodies usually available on the 'bay for used parts too.

Top Bottom