SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
Hi im new to vintage bikes and my friend is selling me a 1976 Yamaha dt250 for only $100 it doesn't run and needs work. Just let me know some things i need to know about it and what i might have to do to get it running.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Wow !! Thats a really open ended question. Why don't you start with a good description of the bike, and maybe photos?? Start with 1) Does it have air filter on it?? 2) Is oil tank still present? 3) If so, does it have oil?? 4) If not, do you have fresh premix in tank?? 5) does it even kick over?? 6) if so, does it have spark?? 7) If not, will it go into neutral and shift through all the gears??

Lots more information really needed to help you. But start with those questions and go from there......

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If it has the stock steel gas tank, watch out for rust inside.

There is no end of items that could be wrong, but I will cross my fingers that it's not too bad.

SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
It doesn't get spark and i dont know a whole lot about vintage bikes and everything is there on the bike. My other friend has the same problem with not getting spark. So we will just start it out with that.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
If it kicks over and does not start, I start with the plug. Get a new plug. If that doesn't work, check and clean all connections between the engine and the plug (and use a dab of dielectric grease when you reconnect connections). If that doesn't work, disconnect the kill switch and see if it sparks. And I assume you are holding the connected plug up against the cylinder head to see if it is sparking during all of this.
Post back after you've tried these things.
And I might just put a little fresh 32:1 premix in the tank while you mess with it until you determine if oiling system is still functioning.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Does the bike still have its key, or has all the street legal stuff been torn off? Does it still have a battery? If so, is the battery charged?

Do you know when was the last time it ran?

I will caution you not to spend much money on it until you can determine how much needs to be done.

Basically, there are many bikes out there in the $500 - $800 range that run, and will have better suspension and brakes than a '76 DT. I'd hate to see you sink that much into a '76 DT250, and still not have it running.

SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
I am taking the lights and electronics off cause there is no way im riding it on the road. I just want to use it off road and for the woods. So the question is can i just by pass the battery and all the lights and stuff. :think:

SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
But the magneto generates the spark and as long as you have the magneto, CDI, and coil for the most part it will run without a battery. So could anybody tell me how to by-pass the battery.

Top Bottom