James980

Dec 29, 1999
Just got my 1981 KDX420 running again after it sat in pieces in a buddy's garage for two years. Took it out yesterday. It's a little violent in the power delivery department for a woods bike, but the suspension, which is far better than the Yama-boingers on the 1977 IT250 I recently finished up, makes up for it (a little -- it's still no modern ride by any stretch).

Now, if I can just get some new rubber on the rear and new brake shoes, I think a harescramble will be calling...

James
00CR250

Shamrocker38

Jul 7, 2002
my dad has a 1980 kdx400, which has been running well since he got it a few years ago. on a recent trail ride though, he was getting no power out of it, he couldn't even ride it. After trying to fix it byremoving/changing parts, he found that it was his spark arrestor, that was letting virtually no exhaust flow through. After 'modifying' the silencer, my dad says the bike runs lke "the bike from hell" or as he also said, like his 'trick' Yamaha MX250. I was just wondering if you know of anywhere to buy parts for a 1980 kdx, particularly the Krizman Spark arrestor, b/c the bike is not technically legal here in MIchigan. thanks alot and good luck with your 420

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Just ebay/junkyards/salvage sites. With all these old bikes you just have to keep looking. They are great, cheap ways to get around the trails...until something breaks. I paid $45 for my 1977 IT250 when I found it, and it turned out to be a very expensive $45. Sometimes you'll find guys who will let stuff go for $1 plus shipping. Other times they think they have you over a barrel and exploit it. Patience is the key.

Mine really does qualify as a rat bike. The silencer is an old DG one off of ??? that is clamped onto the pipe with U-clamps and then hose clamped and zip tied to the frame. The rear fender is off a 1988 KX250, cut to fit and spray-painted red (most peeling off, of course). The bars are some generic aluminum brand and bent all to hell. Front headlight is missing. The pipe is really cool painted with hi-temp, chrome-colored paint.

Doesn't matter. Riding that bike, I still look like a badass. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. :cool:

James
00CR250

mkgearhead

Nov 25, 2001
The old bikes are great. I just got my '81 kdx 250 running after doing a top and bottom end (the crank bearing was wasted when I got it, I traded a xt125 that I paid $50 for it). I got most of the parts on ebay, even a perfect used crank for $7. I just need to find a spark arrestor for mine as well. The DG silencer with a screen on the end probably won't fly as muck as Colorado had been on fire. They are probably going to be checking the bikes out more closely. Well, anyway, enjoy those vintage(old) bikes.

Mark
'81 KDX 250 (2)
'75 XL 350
'75 xl 250
'81 KDX 175
'72 F7 175(the wife won't part with it)

Top Bottom