1988 Honda XR200 transmission locks up

HondaBrat

Jan 2, 2002
I have my brothers 88 XR200 on the bench and case split. This thing locked up on me in 2nd gear. I have checked everything in the transmission and found nothing but some worn bushings on the main and countershaft. Do you think thats enough to lock it in gear while doing a wheelie.

Thanks,
Mike

HondaBrat

Jan 2, 2002
No it wont run at all. It has unlocked once or twice. Acts like a piece of metal is getting stuck between the gears.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
What I am trying to understand if its the engine or the transmission. Its not uncommon for those old xr's to starve the top end of oil when riding (excessive/long) wheelies. When that happens it can lock up and when it cools down it will free up again. It the transmission was locking up I believe you would see it if you have the tranny apart. Pop the cam out of the head and see what it looks like. Maybe some galling on the bearing journals.

HondaBrat

Jan 2, 2002
Top end is fine. Dosen't have even 3 hrs on it. Guess I'd better buy all new bushings for both counter and main shafts since I dont see any broken gears. I have the same bike as him and I lost 3rd gear years ago.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
HondaBrat said:
Top end is fine. Dosen't have even 3 hrs on it. Guess I'd better buy all new bushings for both counter and main shafts since I dont see any broken gears. I have the same bike as him and I lost 3rd gear years ago.

That sounds right.

Top Bottom