ChrisUpchurch

Jul 14, 2010
I picked up a 1988 KDX 200 the other day with a scored cylinder. This may be a stupid question but how can I tell if it has been sleeved? I put a magnet to the cylinder wall and it seems to be steel. If it is sleeved all I need to do is hone the cylinder and get a new piston right?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Stock will hold a magnet also. Aftermarket plating has nickel, which is magnetic, also.

Look on Google images or similar for some sleeved cylinder pictures. There should be an obvious liner inside the cylinder bore.

If someone has already sleeved it, then it might need:

a simple honing and new piston, OR

a bore job and new piston, OR

if still in stock condition, sent off to be replated and a new piston (best option)

ChrisUpchurch

Jul 14, 2010
Thanks for the info!!

I will probably just send it off to have it replated. I just hate to put a lot of money into something that I haven't seen run yet. I may spend this money and something else be seriously wrong with it. Or, It could be the best bike I've ridden.

So who has the best deal on replating?

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
And if you want to know how to tell if it's sleeved or not, when you look at the top surface of the cylinder, there will be a ring running around the cylinder bore if there is a sleeve. That ring is the edge of the sleeve. If there is no sleeve, the surface will be the same all the way to the edge of the cylinder bore. :nod:

Top Bottom