Help 1989 kdx 200 kickstarter slipping

Rspears2

Jul 15, 2020
Graham washington
Recently got a 1989 kdx 200.
It sat for a while with the previous (2nd owner) before I got ahold of it.
The bike bumps over pretty easy but the kickstarter feels like it slips.
After riding it on some trails and hill climbs so far I have decided to keep the bike its fun and forgiving to ride it.
I ended up taking the engine cover on the right side off .
The washers and circlip was sitting on the back of the kick shaft where they belong, except the circlip was not locked into place it was off of its groove/slot where it holds the ratchet gear in place.
The whole kickstarter assembly looked good and appeared to function correct once I re assembled it. After re assembling the right side I tried kick starting it and had the same thing happen. It feels like it slips off the gear.
I can slowly push on the kickstarter lever untill it feels like its engaging or kick it quickly both with the same results.
Is there a write up on this one already or have any of you dealt with this issue before?
Thanks
Rich

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
From a previous post:

In the kickstart ratchet assembly there is a 15mm snap ring that should be on the end of the shaft. On mine, it had jumped out of the groove and was sliding along the shaft like a washer. The function of this snap ring is to hold the washer in place that provides the backing for the ratchet engagement spring. If the snap-ring pops out of the groove, the spring can move back another 3mm or so before it contacts the housing. This results in a much weaker engagement, making slippage much more common. In addition, my engagement spring was a bit sacked. The old one measured 12mm, the new one was 14.5mm. Combined with the snap ring that jumped its groove, it resulted in much lower engagement pressure from spring. If your bike is having kickstarter engagement problems , it might be something to check (part 480A on the buykawasaki.com website). Getting to it requires removing the right side cover, the clutch hub, and the spur gear/kick shaft assy.

Rspears2

Jul 15, 2020
Graham washington
I ordered the spring and circlip.
I had my suspicions of the circlip being part of the problem since I found it laying in the back with the washers as I pulled the kickstarter assembly.
Thanks i appreciate the reply and
info.

Rspears2

Jul 15, 2020
Graham washington
Got a new circlip on.
Seems to be the same so far no luck.
The good thing is the kickstarter assembly is all together after taking it back apart to see whats going on in there.
The bad thing is, it's still not engaging fully or slipping out when kicked over.
Waiting on the spring and oe circlip.
Is there a certain spot to put the ratchet gear when installing it?
I understand to line the two punch marks but the tab on the ratchet gear that hits the stopper I would think has to go in at the bottom "6 o clock position" so it can travel around and up to the stopper when its kicked over.
20200715_165313_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20200715_163258_HDR.jpg
    20200715_163258_HDR.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 1,034

Rspears2

Jul 15, 2020
Graham washington
Using the bike manual as a guide I looked at the schematic/exploded view of the kickstarter assembly and took it apart and reassembled it.
Everything is per the illustration in the book and it still slips.
It feels like it is engaged as you press on the kickstarter lever then when you pick it it feels and sounds like it slips out and catches a gear then back out. Not very consistent. But never enough of a kick to start the bike even when warm from riding after bump starting it.
So far no luck. One way or another I will find out whats going on and ill post what fixed it.

Top Bottom