Big_GunDR350

Mar 29, 2005
I recently acquired a 1994 Honda CR250. But it needs a bottom end rebuild and the case has a small crack in it. Was just wondering if the case can be welded. Also any tips on rebuilding the bottom end would be helpful. thanx

joh9356

Mar 22, 2005
Warez the crack?

Also, are you going to try rebuilding yourself?

I have my 90 CR250 case halves on my bench right now waiting on the gasket and seal kit. Some idiot pried the cylinder off and then pried the case halves apart. I think I have them set ok, but if not, it's 700 bucks to Honda.

joh9356

Mar 22, 2005
Does the crack lead to the edge of a case half? Either way, you should be able to repair it seeing as the Honda uses a case-half gasket, just make sure when reassembling you spray a light coat of Copper spray-a-gasket on the gasket itself before installing it.

If you can get somebody to weld it professionally and then draw file or mill it, you should be ok. You will have to get the crank pressed out of the case half though. Then you will have to take the crank to a tech and get them to replace the rod on it and press it back together and true it with a jig.

You can purchase case halves with preinstalled bearings for about 300 bucks a piece if all else fails, if it's worth it to you.

Jim

Big_GunDR350

Mar 29, 2005
thanx. I got the crank pressed out but the idiot who had it before pounded on the threads and screwed them up on the alternator side. I am gonna try to fix them by grinding it down and rethreading. Do u have any other suggestions?

joh9356

Mar 22, 2005
Yes, replace those bearings!

You need a complete gasket kit and seal kit for that engine, and at the very least, replace the crank bearings in the case halves.

And obviously someone before you tried rebuilding this engine. Make sure the exhaust valve system is absolutely working properly and lines up correctly when putting the cylinder back together. The rest of that engine aint too bad, and I know your valve are different than mine, but I am finished rebuilding my engine ,and my HPP system just doesn't quite seem right. It's binding, so I just ordered another cam spindle, cause mine is binding. I tried firing it and reashping it, and it was definitely better, but just to be on the safe side.....

One other thing. Use "Copper Spray a gasket" from Permatex on both sides of the case half gasket, it will seal better. You can get it from your ever thrifty Autozone for about 5 bucks. Coat both sides of the gasket until it looks copper colored. You will thank yourself in the long run. I certainly did. Do it to the cylinder base gasket also, if you had the ever great "screwdriver pryer" rebuild before you.

Hope this helps

Jim

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom