1995 KDX200 clutch drag, kick start slip, coolant loss

XR750

Mar 7, 2009
Hello from a new guy. I looked at a 1995 KDX 200 today that was pretty beat, unknown maintenance (probably none) but could be had very cheap ($3-400.00). It had some immediate mechanical issues that concern me:
1. Coolant loss. Owner says he frequently refills the reservoir. Any ideas?

2. Kick start failed to engage all the time. Did I read somewhere about a spring?

3. Clutch drag. Started the bike, engage clutch, put it in gear and it lurches forward and stalls. Owner said there is gear oil in the trans. Is that correct?

This would be my first dirt bike in a long time, and I'm a pretty good fix it guy with no qualms with repairing things, just concerned that expenses could pile up. It also needs front brake pads (soon), a rear tire, the plastics are pretty torn up, it has a rear brake leak.

Opinions are welcome.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
gear oil in the trans is fine, but atf type f may help with the dragging. Most likely cause though is a worn clutch basket. The fingers get grooves in them and the plates can't separate correctly.

The kickstart slipping is common on the KDX. The fix is to replace the two gears and small spring in the kickstart shaft assembly.

If the coolant can't be seen, it's probably leaking into the transmission and mixing with the oil. Also a common point of failure in the KDX. The solution is to check/replace the water pump oil seals and check the impeller shaft. If the shaft is worn it should be replace or it will prematurely wear the new seals.

Sounds like a decent price for a ragged out bike. KDX parts are fairly cheap and easy to find. If you are mechanically inclined then you may come out and the excellent side of a good deal. If not, you may be spending more in shop time than it's worth and end up wishing you'd bought a solid runner instead.

J.

Last edited:

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
Kick start problem as stated. Coolant lose and dragging clutch could be (probably are) related. Look in the sight glass and see what the oil looks like. Milky white, there's your coolant lose and clutch drag. Nothing, no gear oil, clutch problem there too. Clutch could have other problems besides contaminated/no oil, among them, warped plates or the mentioned bad basket.
Plan on clutch and water pump rebuild. Bad part is the kickstart slippage which I think requires splitting the cases (if so, lotta work, but little $$).

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Nah, you don't need to split the cases to get to the kickstart shaft. The entire gizmo resides behind the inner clutch cover. I've had mine out several times.

J.

XR750

Mar 7, 2009
Thanks for the responses. The oil in the sight glass did not look milky, but I did not run for more than a minute or so after finding the problems. Any ideas on the parts costs?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
No, not right off hand. The water pump oil seals are nickle and dime stuff. The spur and ratchet gear in the kickstart are a bit pricey, but the spring is cheap. You might get by with stretching that spring out a bit if the gears don't seem worn out at all. I would let it run through a couple heat cycles and then drain the oil. If it even slightly resemebles a milkshake then you need to look into that.

If the guy was complaining about needing to add water to the rear resevior after every ride, that's perfectly normal. It gets shaken and drained out in general riding. Some people re-route the overflow tube to keep it from running out. If I fill up that overflow tank, it's empty when I get back to the truck. I have never needed to add to the radiators though.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Ask yourself if you want a bike to ride, or a bike to work on during the winter.
Figure on putting another $400 in parts on that bike, and some hours of your spare time.
(I just re-read the OP; make that $600....)

Your choice.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
What makes you assume he needs $600 in parts??? My 89 had the exact same set of problems and I was able to fix all of them for under $100 and a few hours of my time. Add in a tire and some general wear items and I have right around $600 in this bike after buying it AND fixing what was wrong. Well, I will admit, all my brakes and plastics and such were decent, aside from the front brake and it just needed to be bled.

I'm not saying all old bikes are going to be this way. I was pretty lucky and found a reasonably low hour bike that just hadn't been messed with in a long time. If you have a good eye for the base, and good sense when you're part shopping and wrenching, you can score a great deal. If you're not careful it's also easy to end up with a complete money pit.

Some guys don't have the cash to spend 2k up front for a nice clean late model bike. For me it's easier to buy someones junk for cheap, and then fix it up using a monthly budget.

I say keep the old bikes running!

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
For a 95, I would get it. Figure about 60.00 for your pump shaft, seal, bearings, gaskets. Another 140.00 for gears, spring, gasket. Figure 80.00 for a clutch pack, 250.00 for a clutch basket and pack. These are just general prices, but for 300.00 I'd get it, spend 2 weekends fixing and checking things out, drop in another 400.00 maybe for parts and time, if not all parts are needed, I'd get a pipe and silencer, and rejet, and have fun! This is assuming that not everything is beat on it.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Julien remember mud works at a kawi dealer.

as for the bike I would try to get it for the 300 bucks but the tires you can snoop around behind some dealers and see what they have for free I've done it for years, only recently have bought brand new rear tires.

the coolant I never have in my resevior cause mine it all cracked up and really is not needed at all.. every time I check my coolant it is always right at the top. but the other are right you do want to make sure its not escaping the radiators

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
Buy the bike.

I just bought a 2003 DRZ125 for my girlfriend. It did the same thing. put it in gear and it dragged and pulled. i changed the gear oil (was old/contaminiated/ never maintained)

And the bike ran great... no pulling, and shifted great. I was actually able to find neutral.

The coolant loss.. probalby head gasket or base.

kick starter parts... call dealer.

All in all, this bike probalby needs no more than $200 to tune it up.

good luck

Tom

Top Bottom