ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
I just bought a 95 YZ250 for $500, I'll have put $150 after I get all the parts I need to get it running, so all in all I'll have spent $650 on it. Has anyone had any experiences with this particular year?? Also, can anyone say if I got a good deal on it?

Pic 1

Pic 2

Theres pictures of it. It needs slight tranny work, and a front sprocket. I'm adding some other things to it too. It runs fine, but I havn't gotten to ride it because of the front sprocket. The Tranny work seems ok, and first gear didn't work, but the rest did. I'm replacing the gears that need to be, and such. Good deal, bad deal?? Any experiences with that year YZ??

Feb 17, 2005
I think 500 is a steal.

I have rode a 96 but not a 95. As for as I know they have the same engines. The 96 was very smooth and tractable. Did you find bad dogs on that first gear?

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
The dogs don't look bad, but I'm replacing the gears in question anyways... My dad reassembled the trans and shifter, and clicked through all the gears,and he said it went through fine... All I gotta do is await the parts and reassemble it.

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
No one else has any experiences on the 95 YZ? My parts should come tomorrow, I'll be able to post what I think of it next week.

BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
My brother bought a used 95' YZ 250 a few years ago for $1,500 and ended up breaking the rear hub and cost $450 w/ new hub, chain & spokes. So, just be careful not to put too much money into the bike. But any bike for under 1k is a good deal - if it runs.

You'll enjoy the bike because it's not real hard hitting.

BPJNT :nod:

95YZ

Jan 14, 2006
I have a 95 yz250 and I think it runs pretty good. I bought mine for $450 and had to put a new top end on it. I have to get a new powervalve arm but in the first 3 gears it has a lot of power. After I get the arm installed I think it should run really good.

loaner

Feb 6, 2006
my bro in law picked up a 95 yz 250 for $1500 last year very clean. thing runs great. He keeps up with my 01 yz no problem. the only difference seems to be in 4th and 5th it may not have as much hit. I can pull the front wheel up in 4th easier than on his. thats all ive noticed.

wish you were closer we just locked that thing into 3rd and need to split the case. frankly we scared to do it and dont want to pay the shop.

FNG

May 2, 2008
I picked up a 95 YZ 250 last spring for 800$. I did chain and sprockets, new RM/KTM bend Pro-Tapers as I am 6'4 and new fork seals. I had to replace the stock silencer as well so I picked one up on Ebay for 10$ from a 99' and made brackets to make it fit.

Rode it 5 or 6 times knowing I needed a top end. I was playing with the jetting on the pilot ckt as it was blubbery on the bottom end. I decided to do the top-end before I did any more fiddling. WOW! what a different bike! I replaced the reeds as well, cleaned the power valve and man, this thing is a blast! I m 215# and the front end does not like staying down in the first 3 gears.

I am down 2 sizes on the pilot from stock now, but plan on 1 more size down and 2 sizes down on the main. I went out for a last ride when it was about 55 degrees and my jetting was still safe so I know I can go down in the heat of the summer.

The bike has decent bottom end for the woods but I am going to do a flywheel weight to give me more and smooth out the hit in the mid, maybe gear it up 1 tooth in the rear from stock and ride it.

Suspension wise, like I said I am 215# and for me the suspension is good. A little soft in the rear as it has the stock spring, but otherwise it will take what I can give it. At 39 years old, I don't plan on any triples and doubles need to be easy on the knees if I come up short. Gotta make the mortgage on mondays ya now!

Overall a great bike for the weekend warrior IMO.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
My son bought a '96 YZ-250 for $1500 and it has been a great bike.

If you are replacing the front sprocket I would recommend replacing the rear and chain as well. Or at least inspect them carefully to make sure that they are not worn excessively.

Rod

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
Where are you guys getting these 1995 Yamaha YZ250's at for $500-$800? Those are Amazing Prices!

A friend of mine Dustin Bloomfield (former AMA 250cc and 500cc National Pro) used to race one of these in the 1995 AMA 250cc Outdoor Nationals and that year I practiced with him a lot. Good bikes, mellow, long powerbands. I think I have an old Motocross Action Magazine with the test on it around here somewhere.

I would put a FMF Gold Series Pipe (I see you have a Pro Circuit Pipe on it and so did Dustin Bloomfield), FMF Power Core Silencer and a Boyesen RAD Valve on that year bike and not touch anything else. Just with those mods alone (no engine porting) that bike should be able to compete with a newer 250cc 2-Stroke.

If you must touch the Suspension, Race Tech was "Excellent" with the 1995 Yamaha YZ250 suspension, and Pro Circuit did a good job also.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
My first bike was a 95, and now I'm on to my 96. I have to say that the 95 just hits like no other, truly a blast to ride. But due to my desire for some american muscle I think I might have to sell it soon.

Top Bottom