1997 cr250 Really hard clutch pull

yteka99

Nov 16, 2013
It's really hard to pull the clutch lever on my 1997 cr250. Just bought the bike and it clearly wasn't taken care of very well. I lubed the clutch cable and it helped a little bit but not much. I'm used to the really easy pull on my street bike, isn't it supposed to be the same for a dirt bike? The clutch is pretty much shot (new one on the way). Should I get a new cable and lever? Or is it pretty normal for a dirt bike?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If it's hard to pull, it's usually because the cable is bad,or someone routed the cable incorrectly.

I would replace the cable first. If the old cable is frayed on the inside, lubing it will not help much.

yteka99

Nov 16, 2013
Is there anywhere online I can find a diagram of how it's supposed to be routed? If it's routed right then I'll start with a cable and see what happens. Is ASV pretty much everyones go-to levers? Or is there something better?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I am not aware of any diagram that shows the proper route for the cable. Try to find a similar year bike and look at it.

But routing the cable isn't rocket sceince. Avoid shart bends. Like others said, I highly recommend a new cable.

Suggestion: Get a new cable, and hook it up without routing through the frame, just as a test. Keep the bend as large a radius as possible and then see what the clutch feels like. If it gets significantly worse once the cable is routed then it is a good indication that you have too tight of a bend.

I would not expect the lever to make any signifcant difference. If your lever is too short then it could be the problem, but I still suspect the cable.

It is also possible that the problem is in the cluch itself. I bought an after market clutch for one of my bikes once and it came with new springs that were a LOT stronger than the original. I hated it, and eventually went back to the OEM clutch/springs.

As for the levers: I am a fan of the ASV levers, although as I said above I wouldn't expect the lever to make a difference in the clutch operation. I have put ASV levers on all my bikes and have never had to replace one. Before I started using ASV levers I would go through the stock and cheap afer market levers like crazy.

Rod

Top Bottom